Monday, February 7, 2011

Lipstick Issues

I got up this morning and got ready pretty much immediately because Lindsey had a concert at school at 9:35.  It was very cute.  They played their recorders and sang songs like Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing” and Bon Jovi’s “It’s My Life.”  The only bad part was that Lindsey looked like she didn’t want to be there.  I had gotten on to her this morning because for an hour and a half, seriously, she did nothing to get ready for school—literally, nothing.  I thought that she was pouting on stage because I chewed her out before I dropped her off at school, but it was about something else.  Before she got out of the car I told her to smile and get over the fact that she had just gotten into trouble.  She tried to smile but her lips were so chapped that they looked like cracked prunes.  Since we didn’t have any chap stick handy I gave her an almost empty tube of sparkly Estee Lauder lip gloss, sort of a gold color, and told her that it was better than nothing.  She applied it in the classroom before the concert and a little girl with whom she has a love/hate relationship with told on her for using make-up at school.  Not only did she tattle, but she told on her in front of everyone in the class and Lindsey was scolded (just a tad) for having it.  I told Lindsey to tell this nosey little girl to mind her own business or just say “Whatever.”  I talked to the teacher about it and I told her that it was my fault, but the teacher said it really wasn’t that big of a deal.  Her teacher and I told Lindsey that she has to get thicker skin because people are always going to say and do things to bother you or hurt your feelings.  You know what?  You couldn’t pay be to go back and re-learn the fact that girls are bitches.  I hate that she has to learn how to navigate through the girl drama—that part of life really sucks.   Come on, ladies.  You agree, right?  I wanted to tell the little girl that I am sick of hearing about her upsetting Lindsey, but I know that Lindsey is probably just as guilty as the other little girls.  Well, that and I’m not nine.
We checked Lindsey out of school to go to a tea house with us.  The one we wanted to go to was closed so we ended up going to the Swann House in Buckhead which had valet parking and a beautiful atmosphere, but the food was extremely disappointing.  I didn’t want to eat too many mini-muffins or pumpkin bread because I didn’t want to ruin my appetite for lunch……should have had the bread.  The bread was the only good part.  On the way out of the tea house Katie’s little boy, Sam, did the limp noodle “I’m not walking anymore” thing that we all love so much.  I scooped up one arm, she got the other and we drug him to the car.  He was mad at Aunt Bertie—that’s my name.  He calls me Auntie Bertie because Katie is still friends with a girl named Erin, who was in 4th grade with us, and she is Aunt Ernie.  So he has a Bert and Ernie. 
After we went to lunch we stopped by Ulta because I promised Lindsey I would look for a curling rod.  I ended up not going with the curling rod, but something I thought was even better.  I also found a pretty lip plumping lip gloss—I was almost out of my favorite tube.  We were picking out a bottle of nail polish (purple for our toe-sies) and Katie turned around and said “Look at Sam!” She was gasping and laughing simultaneously.  We turned and saw that he had taken red lipstick and smeared it all over his mouth!  He looked like a little clown.  It was so funny.  The funniest part, now that I think about it, is that after we took a picture of him we continued to shop; we didn’t wash it off or anything.  Lindsey finally wiped it off when we got home an hour later. 
I went to the gym and then made BLT’s with turkey bacon but had to run to Publix because I realized that we were out of tomato.  While Katie and I were at the store I realized that I didn’t tell Don that I threw bacon in the oven (because I hate frying things) and I was afraid that a fire would start without him realizing it, so we were flying down the aisles trying to get home.  No fire, delicious sandwiches, tired kids, tired mamas.  Going to bed. 
In case you feel like listening to this song, here's the link.  This is such a great song! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I-SbwCHJ80


Word of the day:

desideratum \dih-sid-uh-RAY-tum; -RAH-\, noun;
plural desiderata:
Something desired or considered necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment