Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pink Ladies

My sister sent me a text message this morning that said that “Footloose” is being remade.   I had actually heard this a while ago, but the text message reminded me once again that I’m getting older and time is just whipping right on by!  With “Hairspray” and “The Karate Kid” being made again recently, it’s all too much to bear!  Are movie makers really so unoriginal that they have to start screwing with our classics?  What’s next, “The Breakfast Club?”  Oh, just shoot me if that happens.  There’s no way that John Bender can ever be replicated.
I did my cardio yesterday so I went to Pilates this morning.  There was a lady there wearing the same thing that I was wearing.  I had on a pair of black yoga pants, a dark pink tank with a light pink tank on top, and a white sweatshirt.  The only thing that made us appear different (other than our faces, our hair color, and the ugly scowl that she was sporting) was that I was wearing a pink sparkly headband.  It was sort of funny because you could tell that we both noticed—very Single White Female.   What this woman doesn’t know is that I know who she is.  She has a daughter Lindsey’s age, we’ll call her Susan.   Susan caused a lot of problems last year among the girls in third grade.   The teachers were always breaking up fights that always seemed to start with this little girl and I had to tell Lindsey to stay away from her because she was being so mean to her.  I had heard through the grapevine that her mother is a very competitive, rude, snotty woman, so I told Lindsey that maybe the little girl had a bad example of how to behave.  However, I try not to believe things like that until I see it for myself.  This woman, we’ll call her Phyllis, told my friend that she wasn’t going to let their daughters hang out anymore because my friend’s daughter is a bad influence.  All I can say is that sweet and innocent little Susan walked around last year telling everyone that she “had swagger” and that Logan said she swung her hips and flipped her hair whenever a little boy was around.  Logan and the little boy that lives next door asked me why she did that, they thought that it was weird.  I don’t remember what I told them.  What I am saying is that this little girl isn’t as innocent as her mother obviously thinks she is.  (None of them are, but at least I am willing to admit it.) There were a lot of things that got back to me and I would ask myself “How does she know what that is?  How old is this little girl?”  And I really didn’t want Lindsey associating with her. 
Anyway, this lady in pink stared and gave me dirty looks during the entire class.  I don’t know if she knew who I was or if she’s just a competitive person and wanted to do it better?   There are people at the gym who compete. You know, they’re the ones next to you on the elliptical (or whatever you’re on) that are peering at your machine trying to get a good glance at what resistance and speed you’re at.  It’s so weird!  I usually look over at them and look them straight in the eye so they know that I know that they’re looking.  It’s like seriously, dude?  You need that kind of motivation?  It doesn't bother me that someone would have that kind of information about me, but I respect others and their privacy and I wouldn't do that, so I don't understand people who do.  What if it makes someone feel insecure or embarrassed?  It displays your weight!  It's just so rude.  Maybe she knew that I was friends with the woman that she got into it with?  I don’t know, but either way, now I feel like I saw what people were talking about.  I saw that AND her fake boobs squeezing out of her tank.  Ok, so that was another difference between our attire….our boobs.   Who knows and who cares!  I just thought that it was interesting.  At least she likes pink!  She’d look better in it with a smile though, that’s for sure!  I hate when people walk around with crappy facial expressions. 
This is all I’m able to write this morning because I have a lot to do today.  My friend, Katie, is getting in tonight with her little boy, Sam.  We met when we were nine, which is weird because my daughter is now that age and I can’t believe that I have known Katie for that long.  We read puberty books together and laughed at them, we went to the state’s capitol building and the only pictures we took were of a dead squirrel on the lawn, we went to Tampa together when we were in high school and had a homeless person buy us liquor.  I remember the time that we were at the beach and these guys were hanging their heads out of the car screaming at us.  Remember how I am not good at sports that require hand-eye coordination?  Well, I had a ring (that goes on your finger) in my hand.  I threw it and it hit the guy right in the middle of the forehead.  I should mention that the car was in motion!  We both laughed hysterically because it was me who threw it!  It was a cheap beaded ring, for those of you wondering why I would throw something like a ring.  It wasn't expensive and it happened to be there, so I threw it.  I've been known to do that from time to time, throw things without my brain being attached to the action.  A few years ago my sister was yelling and yapping and wouldn't shut up.  I had a glass of water in my hand and without even knowing that I was about to do it, I flung the water in her face.  She stood there stunned, but so did I!  I couldn't believe that I did it.  It's like I am so passive sometimes when I'm being yelled at that my limbs do all of the talking for me.  HA!  That cracks me up. 

One more thing.....a little while ago I told Dylan that he could have one cookie.  He held up two fingers and said "Two."  So I gave him two.  I'm such a sucker.


Here’s the word of the day: 
eclat \ey-KLAH\, noun:
1. Brilliance of success, reputation, etc.
2. Showy or elaborate display.
3. Acclamation; acclaim.

No comments:

Post a Comment