Friday, September 23, 2011

It's Officially Fall!

Today is Ashli and Tyson's 29th birthday!  Happy birthday, Ash and Ty!  Your big sister loves you and wishes she could be with you to celebrate your LAST 20-something birthday!  I hope that you guys have a great day and eat lots of cake!  I posted a picture of your beautiful, screaming faces below.  


Ash, Britt and Ty

Not only is it my brother and sister's birthday, but today is the first day of fall.  Spring and fall are definitely my favorite seasons.  I hate the fact that I am allergic to all things blooming during the two, but I love the changing colors and nice, cool temperatures.  I love getting out fluffy sweatshirts, I love taking walks, I love the holidays.  One thing that I really hated about living in Florida is that nothing ever changed.  It was green all year.  Don't get me wrong, I still hate being cold and I complain constantly about freezing temperatures, but I like sweatshirt weather.  Georgia's summers have been so awful for the past two or three years that you can't even go outside, so for the first time in my life I have begun to hate summer weather and look forward to fall.  Not only has the heat and humidity been unbearable in the summer, but we haven't actually had a fall or spring for at least a couple of years.  It's winter, and then it'll feel like spring for a week and then BAM!  It's summer.  It's 95 degrees until November and them BAM!  It's winter and we are snowed in and the kids are sledding down the street.  It's bizarre.  I'm excited because I think that we are actually going to have a fall this year because it has been cooling off a bit.  Also, Chris Farley, our furry fat squirrel friend in the attic, has been scratching around for at least a month. If you recall, we never shot him or set up a trap, so he's still up there, getting fat and thumping around.  Maybe he knows something that I don't and he is preparing for a cold winter?

By the way, why aren’t the seasons given the respect of being considered proper nouns?  I think that winter, spring, summer and fall should be treated as people and capitalized.  It doesn’t make sense to me that they are not capitalized.  I have respect for grammar and the English language, sometimes to others’ detriment, but I have to disagree about this one.  When you are referring to a season, I think it should be capitalized!  Of course, I will follow the stupid rule like I always try to do, but it doesn’t make sense.  Also, why does fall get two names?  Is autumn greedy or something?  Why don't the other seasons get two names as well?  If I had to give the other seasons names I would name summer Hot as Hell,  winter, Cold, Dead, and Boring,  and spring, Phantom of the Season.  (Of course, those are all perfect for Georgia.)  My niece, Amelie, calls the seasons Leaves Falling, Snow Falling, Sprinkle Time.  I don't know what she calls summer.

Just a side note, Logan has been calling me "The Grammar Police" and he is intentionally saying things incorrectly, just to irritate me.  He said that he was going to start saying "vanilla woffers" instead of "wafers" and I told him that he'd sound like a weirdo.  He calls me OCD and mocks me with a high voice.  He says "No!  It has to be like this, not that, with a little bow on it!  Everything has to be this way, all organized and pretty!  And you can't say it like that, that's grammatically incorrect!  Blah blah blah!"  Can you believe that kid?  It reminded me of the time that he came home with Lindsey  from Pre-K and said that a kid had said the "A" word.  They were both upset that someone had cussed at school; it was a big, dramatic situation.  After some prying, I couldn't figure out what they were talking about because it was clear that it wasn't "ass", so I gave them permission to say the word.  They said "Mommy, he said AIN'T!"  I wanted to explode into laughter, but I couldn't because at one point I had said to them "If I ever catch you saying that word, I will be very upset!  Don't ever let me hear you say 'ain't' because it is not a word!"   I did clear it up.  I explained that it wasn't a swear word, but that it wasn't a proper word.  I'll never forget what their precious little, squishy faces looked like as they learned about slang.  Logan is still cute, but he is such a smart alec!  I wonder where he gets that from.
I thought that I would post some pretty fall pictures.  These were probably taken in Maryland.   Maryland has the most beautiful fall. 




Here's the Word of the Day:

rap·ine

the violent seizure and carrying off of another's property; plunder.

1 comment:

  1. I would say these were taken farther up north then MD. MD AIN'T all that pretty!! ;)

    ReplyDelete