Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Window Bank



I took this picture a few weeks ago and never posted it.  I have a bowl of change on my dresser. Carson and Dylan love to get it down and stick each coin into Logan's bank.  Once they finish, they dump it out and start over.  Money is about the filthiest thing that you can touch, so I have to say that I am not crazy about this game, but they only do it once in a while and I stand there armed and ready with a bottle of hand sanitizer.  My mom said that people at church used to give me change to play with when I was a baby.  She said that I choked on so many nickels that she couldn't count.  Apparently she wouldn't know that some old lady had slipped me a quarter and I would just start choking and turning blue.  When I heard that story I thought WHY in the WORLD would you give children money to play with?  It’s now apparent to me that these people had experienced children who didn’t eat everything that they touched.  I didn’t know such children existed after having Logan and Lindsey.  Logan found a dime on the floorboard of the car when he was three.  He swallowed it and started choking in the Chick-fil-a parking lot. Don freed his airway as I stood frozen and panicked.  Logan and Lindsey put everything into their mouths.  I swear, Carson and Dylan never put anything in their mouths that isn’t obviously edible.....or their pacifier—they never have.  I find this to be unusual, but a blessing.  A lot of the baby-proofing that I did for Carson and Dylan turned out to be superfluous, but you would have done the same if you had experienced Logan as a small child.   I didn't know that the boys would be so good and have such a strong understanding of “no”, “yucky”, and “dangerous” at such a young age, because Logan never grasped it.  Carson and Dylan also don't pick their noses like most kids.  If they ever need their noses wiped they say "tissue?"  They also say “yucky” and squish their faces to show that they find something gross.  They know that it's nasty to pick their nose or touch their snot or do anything disgusting like that—they always have.  Thank God for that, because it is so gross.  It’s totally normal behavior and I don't fault a child with a finger up his nose, but it’s still gross. 

This reminds me of another story…..Dylan was blowing bubbles with some kids at cheerleading practice last week.  He started to drink the bubbles!  He stopped as soon as he tasted it.  It was funny.

Anyway, I thought that I should post this picture.  As time passes you tend to forget details about your children and I am using this blog as a way to document for mine.  The night that they were stuffing change into the window sill was one of those nights that we had exhausted all other forms of entertainment and I wouldn’t have cared if they were hanging from the chandelier.  The coins are still there, by the way.  They couldn't get them back out. 

Here's the Word of the Day:
irrefragable \ih-REF-ruh-guh-buhl\, adjective:
Impossible to refute; incontestable; undeniable; as, an irrefragable argument; irrefragable evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment