Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Unconventional Geniuses

I told the kids that we would go to the park and pack a picnic this afternoon, but it’s going to rain all day.  I am taking them to the library instead.  I love the library.  It makes me feel like a kid again.  I always have a hard time choosing though and leave with like 27 books…..way more than you can read in a two week time period!  I usually get two or three for me (which is unrealistic when you have small children) and then the rest are books for the kids.  Last April after Carson had surgery on his leg and we had read all of the books in the house and put all of the puzzles together, we walked to the library.  I pushed the boys in my jogging stroller as usual, two miles, up and down hills— but on the way back when the basket was filled with books I remember thinking “Um yeah, this was not a good idea.”  I’m a little crazy sometimes. 
As some of you know, I write children’s books, so the link to the article that I have pasted below was really interesting to me.  I know that a lot of you won’t read it because it just isn’t your cup of tea, but those of you who do read it will find it amazing that at one point in time Dr. Suess was considered unconventional!  He’s THE book for children these days, but it wasn’t always so.  I love when people challenge the status quo; great things can happen.  The author also talks about Shel Silverstein—one of my favorites when I was younger.  My mom used to play the tapes in the car and we had all of his books.  I bought one for Peyton a few years ago because I thought he’d enjoy the zaniness.   I love Silverstein because he dares to think like a child.  There’s a gift in remembering how children think once you are grown and he definitely bears that gift.  They also refer to Maurice Sendak, author of “Outside Over There”.  This was one of the most intriguing books to me when I was a kid.  I couldn’t figure it out, and therefore I loved it.  I read it over and over trying to figure out what it meant.  I never did get any concrete answers, but I was constantly curious.  In my opinion, curiosity is what you want a children’s book to evoke.  According to this article in New York Times, that wasn’t always the case. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/books/review/the-childrens-authors-who-broke-the-rules.html?_r=1&emc=eta1



Here’s the Word of the Day:


acme \ACK-mee\, noun:
The highest point of something; the highest level or degree attainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment