Thursday, March 1, 2012

Things I Can't Eat

Before I get silly.....I heard two days ago that Santorum was granted Secret Service protection.  I also saw that a new law was passed on Tuesday (H.R. 347) that says you can't peacefully protest when Secret Service is near.  That means that this jackass, Santorum, now gets to walk around saying absurd things and people can't protest where he is speaking.  He isn't the president yet, so what's up with that?  I wasn't planning on getting wacky and making signs or anything, but I always feel that free speech and expression issues need to be shared.  I understand why they passed it (because secret service don't want some crazy person showing up and making their job more difficult) but it's sure to set some people off.  Right?  I took enough law in college to know that we fought for the right to peacefully assemble in protest. 

Also, yesterday I made it clear how into "Mad Men" I am.  I saw on the news this morning that a billboard for Season 5 (which premieres March 25) has New Yorkers upset.  The opening of the show is an animation of Draper falling from a building.  It represents his life, which is always in turmoil.  This new ad, which is wrapped on the side of a building, mirrors the show's intro.  New York residents claim that this ad is "tasteless and insensitive" and reminds them of the people who jumped to their death on 9/11.

This is an issue that I am not touching.  I don't live in New York, I didn't lose friends or family that day, and I can't say what should or should not upset them.  I do understand both sides.  I understand that there are probably certain triggers that the people of New York have to deal with and this just happens to be one of them.  AMC stands by the ad because it has been a part of the show since 2007. 

I don't know.  If it were in Cleveland, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Social graces and having a general awareness of the feelings of others are important....even in business. 


What do you think?  Tasteless? Or are they being too sensitive?

Amélie had her first ice-skating lesson a couple of days ago.  Isn’t she so stinking cute?  I could eat her, but I won't because it would be wrong. 

Speaking of things that I can't eat.....I went to Jimmy John's on Monday for a Turkey Tom and the lady said "Oh, you know that they don't come with sprouts anymore, right?"  I was devastated, and for a good reason.  Sprouts made the sandwich.  She said that there have been too many recalls, so they had to take them off the menu.  I buy them and make sandwiches at home.  I am totally bummed out.  I love sprouts, man!  They make a sandwich so crunchy!

I wanted to check it out myself.  I found that sprouts are incredibly healthy for you because they are like eating a little plant.  They are full of healthy enzymes and packed with vitamins, especially B.  However, they are hard to wash and therefore create a breeding ground for bacteria, specifically E. coli.  Um, ewwwww.  If they ever tell me this about avocados, I am in trouble. 

Seriously.  Isn't she so adorable?  I love it when she calls me Auntie Brinty. I love her.


Here's the Word of the Day:

hircine \HUR-sahyn\ , adjective:
1. of, pertaining to, or resembling a goat.
2. Having a goatish odor.
3. Lustful; libidinous.

No comments:

Post a Comment