Thursday, March 29, 2012

Things I Hate About the News

I feel like I can fairly say this without coming off like a nasty person because I went to school to be a journalist.  Obviously, I love the news.  However, there are a couple of things about the production of TV news that really irritate me. 

First of all, when they make Matt Lauer or Anne Curry speak with local anchors, it's just plain embarrassing.  Every time I see one of our local anchors scrambling to make clever conversation, I cringe.  Not only do they say stupid things, but the national anchors sit in discomfort as they fake interest in what the local anchor has to say.  Their faces appear to be saying "how long do I have to talk to this local loser?"  It's like the national anchors are the cool kids and the local anchors are begging to be seen with them so they can tell all of their friends.  I keep waiting for one of the local guys to ask for an autograph, they look so awestruck, like it is the best part of their day.  It's quite uncomfortable and I wish the stations didn't go so far to make it look like Matt Lauer cares. 

Another thing I hate.....stupid, useless sound bites.  I heard one this morning in the piece about the Jet Blue pilot going crazy while working.  NBC threw in the following clip: the doctor said "It's the one profession where you want the person to be mentally stable."  Gee, you think, NBC?  I wouldn't have come to my own conclusions on that matter had you not had an FAA medical doctor tell me that.  I'm flying in the air under the control of a pilot, and you don't think I already know that it's a profession where the person in charge needs to be mentally stable?  Thank you for clearing that up, NBC.  So glad I get my news from you. 

Speaking of the news, Don and I were watching ABC national news a few years ago and we saw oursleves walking through the Atlanta airport; the footage was taken in 2004.  We looked at each other and said "That was us!"  I yelled "That was my blue shirt!"  Never mind my face, I saw my shirt!  We are file footage, so any time they talk about national security or the airports, there is a chance that we might be used, strolling through the airport. 


Have a great day!  Your Word is:

eudemonia \yoo-di-MOH-nee-uh\, noun:
1. Happiness; well-being.
2. Aristotelianism. Happiness as the result of an active life governed by reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment