Friday, March 9, 2012

Flashback Fridays-Me and Mandy

I am in yellow, Mandy is in pink
First of all, what's wrong with my arms in this picture?  It looks like someone glued them on or something.  Seriously, they are dangling like a pair of prosthetics. 

I remember spending every summer with my cousin, Mandy.  Mandy is six months younger than me.  We used to put on plays, sing, swim, play dress-up, hide in cornfields (she lived in Indiana), and watch movies on her waterbed.  I hated that waterbed.  I always got squished between the wood and the bag and would wake up screaming for help and pushing her off of me.  I remember staying with my grandparents and asking my grandpa about the Underground Railroad.  He took us to the library to research it.  Then he lied to me.  Mandy and I were in a basement (I think it was a rental property that my grandpa owned) and I said that it looked like there was a tunnel in the back.  My grandpa told me that it was an entrance to the Underground Railroad and that the path went all the way up north.  I spent the next 5-10 years thinking that I had seen an escape route from the slave days.  I was such a weird kid, too, right?  "Hey grandpa!  Take me and my cousin to the library since school is out!  I want to go do some research on the Civil War!"  What a strange child. 

I loved summers as a kid.  They seemed to last an eternity.  Mandy now has three kids of her own, I have five, and we always talk about how kids have no imagination anymore.  They don't, and they are really missing out.  The only thing that sucked about the 80's for me were the blisters from my jellies.  I love the 80's.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment: