Friday, March 2, 2012

Flashback Friday-What's That He Said?

Remember this song by White Town?  I think I was in 10th grade when it came out.  You know, it doesn't take many brain cells to figure out that it's about a dude who likes a dude who isn't sure if he likes dudes or chicks, but I remember cocking my head as a teenager and thinking "Did I hear that right?  Maybe it's just a girl with a deep voice!"  I was such an airhead, but in my defense, it was different in the 90's.  Ellen had just kissed a girl on TV. 

I wanted to check the year that it came out (definitely 1997) and I read that the song's author, Jyoti Mishra, actually intended for the song to have multiple meanings.  I wasn't as airheaded as I thought.   This quote is from Wikipedia:


"When I wrote it, I was trying to write a pop song that had more than one perspective. Although it’s written in the first person the character behind that viewpoint isn’t necessarily what the casual listener would expect.  The lyrics could mean being a member of an orthodox Trotskyist / Marxist movement. Being a straight guy in love with a lesbian. Being a gay guy in love with a straight man. Being a straight girl in love with a lying, two-timing, fake-ass Marxist. The hypocrisy that results when love and lust get mixed up with highbrow ideals."-Mishra.

Whatever.  It's a good tune.  I miss the 90's. 

http://youtu.be/cIQWt3oMids

Here's the Word of the Day:

Pettifog

\ PET-ee-fog \  , verb;


1.
To bicker or quibble over trifles or unimportant matters.

2.
To carry on a petty, shifty, or unethical law business.

3.
To practice chicanery of any sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment