Friday, August 5, 2011

On this day.....

Since it's August 5th, which is the day of my birth, I thought I would list some interesting facts about this day in history. Turns out that it's not a very historical day except for the fact that I was born. HAHA! I kid, I kid. There are some interesting facts, take a gander below.

First of all, it is the 217th day of the year....how are your New Year's resolutions going so far?

Births:

Neil Armstrong, 1930
Elephant Man, 1862

Deaths:

Marilyn Monroe, 1962
Richard Burton, 1984
Sir Alec Guiness, 2000

Interesting Events:

1100-Henry I was crowned King of England in Westminster Abbey
1620-The Mayflower departed from Southampton, England on its first attempt to reach North America
1914-Cleveland, Ohio, the first electric traffic light was installed
1957-American Bandstand debuted on ABC
1962-Nelson Mandela was incarcerated
1963-The nuclear test ban treaty was signed by 133 countries
1980-My mom had just spent 24 hours in labor. Sorry, Mom.
1981-Ronald Reagan fires 11,359 striking air-traffic controllers who ignored his order for them to return to work.
2003-A car bomb explodes in the Indonesian capital of Jakarta outside the Marriot hotel
2010-Copiapo mining accident occurs, trapping 33 Chilean miners

Here's the Word of the Day:

overslaugh \OH-ver-slaw\, verb:
To pass over or disregard (a person) by giving a promotion, position, etc., to another instead.

2 comments:

  1. And the most important event of today . . . I met you, a wonderful, life changing event that has brought more joy and happiness than I could ever have imagined! Happy Birthday dear daughter! I love you so . . . or as Amelie says, "You're (one of) my best thing ever." Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize this but Lucille Ball's birthday is the day after yours! Tomorrow she would have been 100!

    ReplyDelete