Thursday, August 11, 2011

Julie Andrews in a Jar

Sometimes I’m in the mood to watch “The Sound of Music”.  I woke up this morning and walked down to the kitchen to make breakfast for everyone and I felt the urge to hear Julie Andrews sing “My Favorite Things”.   I don’t know why, except for maybe the fact that yesterday sucked and I would’ve loved having Mary Poppins float around my house snapping her fingers at the kids, making everything run more efficiently while singing merry tunes.   Why can’t I do that?  Oh, I know why.  Everyone would think that I was on drugs.  But wouldn't it be cool to have Julie Andrews in a jar?

I have been working on staying calm and stating answers and directions for the kids rather than getting into arguments and snipping at them.  They know how to push my buttons and I have been working on surprising them into submission.  By this, I mean that when they push a button and they get no reaction, they feel defeated and finally shut up.  It’s awesome; it’s just hard to do sometimes. 

Yesterday I was so frustrated and I felt like I was nagging right and left.  I was saying things like “Go faster!  We’re going to be late!  Hurry up!”  The schedule was just insane, and I found myself thinking “Why am I even doing this?”  I told Lindsey that her schedule is the craziest of anyone’s and if I have to nag at ALL, I will make her drop something……end of story.  Logan is doing better this week and seems to be getting into his routine.  Both of the kids are doing a great job and they are getting along, which has been wonderful—they just have a lot on their plates, I know that.  I don’t remember my schedule being this crazy until high school and I could barely handle it at that point.  Kids seem to be busier these days, but maybe I am wrong?

When I leave the gym, I have to go to the craft store to pick out ribbon.  I am making our cheerleaders’ hair bows for this Saturday’s Jamboree, hopefully today.  For those of you who don’t know what the Jamboree is, it is an entire day of scrimmages in the blistering sun on a huge field without shade.  Our boys play around 2:00 or 2:30 and I think that they are on the schedule until 4:30.  The girls don’t wear their uniforms, but cheer t-shirts and black shorts.  We get to dazzle them up any way we want to, so we have chosen zebra print and hot pink ribbon for their hair bows, and we will also be tying up the sleeves with the same ribbon.  We had a mother who had offered to do this for us, but her son has had a high fever, so I said that I would take care of it. 

Other than making the bows, it looks like a slower day.  Lindsey has ballet and tap from 5:00-6:30, but other than that, it’s just the norm.

Speaking of Norm, I finished “Cheers” a couple of nights ago.  I can’t believe that Diane and Sam didn’t end up together.  I mean, I guess it makes sense because they were sort of a mismatch couple, but I was still disappointed.  Sam’s true love was the bar, Diane’s was her work, and as for the rest of the gang at Cheers…….I’ll bet they’d all still be sitting there, if it weren’t just a show.  Norm said that he planned on being buried there, so I guess they wrote the finale the way that they should have—Sam owns the bar, stays forever and serves his friends for all of eternity.  Gosh, what a great show.  Other than “Seinfeld”, has there been better writing in sitcom history?  And the characters—they were such great characters!  Ahhhhh, the 80’s.  Weren’t those the days?  The days before gratuitous reality shows and celebrating ignorance……….


Here’s your Word of the Day:

billet \BIL-it\, verb:

1. To provide or obtain lodging.
2. To direct (a soldier) by ticket, note, or verbal order, where to lodge.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's been nuts for kids for a while now and my stupid generation is the one who created "overscheduled kids." I remember one weekend Mamaw and Papaw were here and I carted them around to soccer, v-ball, blah, blah, blah and Mamaw, in her very clear and pulling no punches way looked me in the eyes and said, "Melinda, you have lost your mind. All you do is drive and cart kids." I was then reminded that I had piano lessons - which I walked to. My mother never took me once, not even when it was raining. So if you lose your mind from these schedules, I probably contributed to your madness by doing it to you kids - ha! And yes, Cheers was the best. Gerg and I went to the real bar in Boston. It was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW I LOVE the Julie Andrews in a jar idea! Wouldn't that be the best! I can think of some other people I'd like to have bottled too!

    ReplyDelete