Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cheerleading Practice and my Stick Arms

Last night we had our first practice and it just as well may have taken place in a steam room at the gym. It was ridiculously humid. I am not typically a sweater (not the kind you wear, haha) unless I am doing cardio, but I was dripping wet. We got our squad together and the girls are really adorable. It’s a little different this year because out of the ten girls, we only have three who have cheered before. Lindsey and Hannah were completely fine with teaching everyone, so much that we snipped at them and told them to sit back and relax and not act like the know-it-all coaches’ daughters. Also, we have two 12-year-olds, and I didn’t want them to immediately dislike Hannah and Lindsey for knowing what they are doing. These girls have never cheered before, and it’s a hard thing to learn when you are older. I won’t usually do this, but I helped them with some basic moves, and I was surprised to find that I remembered the names and technique. After all, it’s been a damn while. Teaching them is the trainer’s job, but there weren’t enough trainers to go around last night, because they only have two for the entire league. I jumped on the phone immediately and called one of our trainers from last year and she said that she would love to train the girls. She’s awesome. She is the perfect mixture of tough and sweet, and she’s an awesome cheerleader, so the girls adore her.


Last night we got home at 8:30 and still had to eat. Lindsey jumped in the shower and dried her hair and I have to say, I am really proud of how she has been hustling lately. She’s usually a slowpoke and I yell at her to hurry up every second of the day. Not this morning…..Logan was the one running after the bus. He’s had a tough time adjusting this week. He’s forgetting his pill and running with his breakfast, he forgot his math book yesterday and then blamed someone else for his mistake, you know….typical kid stuff and totally understandable the first week. He has football, a new school, 6 classes, switching classes, etc. to get used to.


Lindsey said that she didn’t want to wear a flower headband today (the ones that I make) because she has to mix it up or she’ll be known as “Headband Girl”. Aren’t kids so funny?


I worked out this morning…..I did arms and abs. My arms are so weak right now. Summer made me inconsistent. I went plenty, but I did hardly any arm exercises. I looked ridiculous lifting the bar with NO WEIGHTS on it! What a nerd I am! But the bar alone is 45 pounds! I’m not trying to get huge muscles, so it’s fine, but it does look funny bench-pressing just a bar! Haha!


We have practice tonight from 6:00-8:00. I was going to take the boys to see another dollar movie, “Marmaduke”, but I wimped out. I figured that they needed some rest. We are all trying to get used to the new crazy-ass schedule.

Here’s the Word of the Day:

hacienda \hah-see-EN-duh\, noun:
A large estate, especially one used for farming or ranching.

1 comment: