Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Deep Thinker and the Silly Heart

Tonight is Lindsey’s play!  I am so excited to see her play Violet Beauregard!  She has practice this morning before school and the play is this evening.  I have to take her to the store to buy some gum, you know, so she can smack on it like Violet.  I woke her up this morning and reminded her that she has to be there early and she had a hard time waking up.  I went downstairs to fix my coffee and Don’s lunch and when I came back up she was hunched over on her bed with her eyes closed “resting”.  I remember how much it sucked to have my mom wake me up; it’s almost worse than an alarm clock because there isn’t coffee to wake you up—you have to depend on your youth!  As for Logan, I wake him up differently every morning.  Sometimes I have to scream and yell at him because he’s dead to the world, and some mornings I can get away with something silly.  This morning his face looked so angelic up above me on the top bunk I just squished his nose to make it look like a pig.  I said “Logan, time to wake up!” And he started laughing because he felt his nose being smashed.  I love being a kid with my kids; it sure beats yelling at them for fighting the rest of the day and we all know about the fighting. 

You know, I didn’t mention this on Mother’s Day but Logan and Lindsey couldn’t even get along on Sunday.  I asked them to be nice to each other since it was Mother’s Day and they were still awful to one another.  I did get some insight into their relationship at church though.  For some reason Lindsey was sitting between me and Logan; I usually have to sit in the middle to keep them away from each other.  Logan reads the Bible at church nowadays and Lindsey “listens” but let’s just say that she isn’t as spiritual as Logan.  She isn’t quite there yet and that’s fine; she isn’t as serious as he is.  So anyway, Lulu brought this teeny tiny rubber cat (called a squishee) with her.  Well, I see her placing the little kitten on Logan’s Bible and giggling silently.  Honestly, it looked funny.  Logan got so irritated that it looked like he was going to scream at her in the middle of church.  She only did it once when I told her not to do it again because she should be paying attention and because Logan didn’t like it.  I told him after church that he needs to lighten up and not get so irritated even when she’s being annoying and I told her not to irritate him so much.  Trust me, sometimes the roles are completely reversed and it’s him being irritating and she’s needing to lighten up.  One thing is for sure though…..as much as Logan gets into trouble, he IS a deep thinker and he’s very serious about certain things whereas Lindsey is a silly heart.  They really couldn’t be more different and it seems that the gap is getting even bigger the older that they get.  I’ll never forget this…..Logan had been talking on the phone with my mom, they were four years old, and when it was Lindsey’s turn he paced around the room listening to their conversation.  Lindsey was saying “Yea, Nonna, I am getting on a plane to see you today!  I’ll be there in like two hours!”  Logan was smiling and nodding his head mumbling to me “You can’t get on a plane just like that.  It takes a long time.  She’s not seeing her today.”  He thought she was silly, and that’s never really changed.  She didn’t know.  She was dancing around the room having fun talking to her Nonna.  She didn’t need logic. 

My mom wrote a really good blog entry yesterday, I think it was yesterday, called “What I know as a Mother” or something similar.  Check it out……


Here’s the Word of the Day:

animalcule

an-uh-MAL-kyool \  , noun;
1.
A minute or microscopic animal, nearly or quite invisible to the naked eye.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I can just see Logan pacing around the room and doing commentary while she's talking on the phone! Hilarious! And the squishy on the Bible.....that scene could have come right out of Holy Family....Ty reading the Bible and you doing something to tease him enough that he would lose his "religion!"

    ReplyDelete