Friday, May 13, 2011

Bad Dreams and Superstitions

Do you ever have such a bad dream that you wake up and you’re thankful for the family you have and the reality in which you live?  I had a terrible dream that made me climb into bed with my little girl this morning and snuggle for a few minutes before I had to wake her for school.  I had a dream that someone took her and I was on the phone with the police reporting it.  I was so upset that I couldn’t breathe or talk.  It felt so real; it was so terrifying.  I’m always thankful that the terror in my nightmare wasn’t real, but then I’m always paranoid afterward that the dream will come true—that’s when I start praying, because being a parent is scary business.  I warn my kids constantly about strangers, I always want to know where they are going, what they’re doing, and what time they’ll be back.  I don’t let them have a lot of freedom because I’m scared to let them have it.  I think I’ll probably have a nervous breakdown when they start driving, or I’ll start praying even more.  You know that you’re a mom when you’re in a store and you don’t see your kid for .2 seconds because they’re an inch away from your butt and your stomach leaps from your body.  You start shouting their name and looking around and they look at you like you’re nuts.  Remember when you would wander off, even as a 12-year-old, and you’d come back and your mom was in such a panic that she screamed at you for scaring her to death?  Well, you will feel the same thing if you have a child and if you already have children, I am sure you’ve felt it.  It’s bound to happen to you and it’s the worst feeling in the world.  I am a person with many different qualities and abilities, but I am nothing without my kids.  In fact, I don’t even know the girl that existed before I had my kids.  I don’t mean “I’m a mom now so I don’t have anything else to offer the world” or that I’m the woman that the gals in “Sex and the City” hate, but what I mean is that I would be a shell of a person without them.  Once you love something so much it’s hard to imagine a life without them.  Plus, for a third of my life, I have been a mom.  I’m used to it by now and can’t imagine not being one. 

On another note, have a not-so-scary Friday the 13th!  I’ve posted a link about Friday the 13th below the Word of the Day just in case you don’t know what’s so significant about it.  After reading about it on Wikipedia, I’m still not positive about where it came from because it seems that no one is.  There are a lot of theories about the day and a lot of uncertainties about when and where it derived, which I suppose could mean that it’s actually an unlucky day—either that or it’s a coincidence.  I think it’s all silliness.  We could add up all of the bad things that happen on every other day as well. 

One theory suggests that the superstitions come from the fact that the Knights of Templar were arrested on Friday the 13th.  Another is simply that 13 is an “unlucky” number and Friday is an “unlucky” day.  The number 12 is a good number.  Jesus had 12 apostles; there are 12 months in a year and 12 numbers on the clock.  The number 13 is considered irregular and throws everything off.  Remember the movie "Labyrinth" with David Bowie?  His clock had 13 hours on it and that place was ALL KINDS of messed up! 
Superstitions about the day itself didn’t exist before the 19th century, but Fridays have been considered unlucky at least since “The Canterbury Tales” which was written in the 14th century.  Jesus died on Friday, and the stock market crashed in 1929 on "Black Friday".  Actually, it crashed on Thursday, but it hit Europe on Friday and so it's known as "Black Friday."  There’s a lot more to it, so you can just read it yourself if you're interested, or maybe even check out a better site.  Wikipedia is a good starter source, but its info is sometimes diluted or incorrect.  I did find this interesting though and I’ve copied and pasted it from Wikipedia:

A theory by author Charles Panati, one of the leading authorities on the subject of "Origins" maintains that the superstition can be traced back to ancient myth:
The actual origin of the superstition, though, appears also to be a tale in Norse mythology. Friday is named for Frigga, the free-spirited goddess of love and fertility. When Norse and Germanic tribes converted to Christianity, Frigga was banished in shame to a mountaintop and labeled a witch. It was believed that every Friday, the spiteful goddess convened a meeting with eleven other witches, plus the devil — a gathering of thirteen — and plotted ill turns of fate for the coming week. For many centuries in Scandinavia, Friday was known as "Witches' Sabbath."[

Today we’re going swimming.  Carson and Dylan call it the “baby pooooooo”.  It’s so stinkin’ adorable!  I have to run now because Carson’s throwing a fit.  He brought me a pair of Don’s socks and wanted me to put them on him. I did, but he’s not happy with HOW I did it because as we all know, there are about 5,000 ways that you can put on a pair of socks.  Right?

I tried to post this entry and Blogger.com was down for HOURS.  They said that they have removed all of Wednesday’s posts for some reason, so that's why mine is missing now.  I will re-post it, but it will look like I posted twice today.  Now I am wondering if there really is something to Friday the 13th!  This is just bizarre!  This site has never had issues! 

Word of the Day:

autodidact \aw-toh-DY-dakt\, noun:
One who is self-taught.






No comments:

Post a Comment