Sunday, January 15, 2012

Death of Pretty

My mom sent me this article.  She thought that it was relevant to my blog from a few days ago. (Fashionably Fascist.)  The link takes you to a Catholic blog, but even if you aren't Catholic, I think you might agree with what the author says.  It's about the "pretty" look dying and the "hot" look taking over. 

I remember thinking as a child, even a teen, that the innocent, virginal look was romantic and beautiful.  Not only did I think that the LOOK was beautiful, but being a virgin was beautiful to me too.  I do believe that society has changed a lot because girls are more like guys now.  We totally sell-out claiming to be empowered, when in reality, guys just get more of what they want in the short-run rather than the long.  My grandma used to say "Why buy the cow when you can have the milk for free?"  Every grandma says that, and they are usually right.  I've always believed that guys will give you attention if you look like a streetwalker, but they never marry you.  Maybe it's changed, but I don't see why it would.  Some girls leave nothing to the imagination.  If it weren't for cute shoes, I doubt that some would bother wearing clothes at all!  Thank you, cute shoes, for sparing us. 

Personally, I prefer the Taylor Swifts to the Miley Cyruses.


http://www.ncregister.com/blog/the-death-of-pretty#ixzz1jAqZcxCS

Girls, while I am on the topic of leaving something to the imagination.....please stop wearing booty shorts to yoga.  It is completely inappropriate and you look desperate for attention.  Seriously.  Yoga already presents somewhat compromising positions; we don't need to see all of that.  Please wear pants.  It's just wrong.

These are called pants.  Get some.


Here's the Word of the Day:


viscid \VIS-id\, adjective:

1. Having a glutinous consistency; sticky; adhesive.
2. Botany. Covered by a sticky substance.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Brit and I'm so proud that you, Ash and Torie are raising my grandchildren! I'm doing an activity with my girls at school that you might be interested in sharing with Lulu. It's a new campaign in the February edition of New Moon Girl magazine (free online edition) http://www.newmoon.com/magazine/samples/January-February-2012.pdf
    It's about helping young girls recognize when women are objectified in advertising and then putting them into action. They can go to this site:
    http://www.newmoon.com/girl-caught/
    and download and print stickers that they can then put on objectionable advertising, then upload it to the New Moon Girl Site. I'm thinking that you might want to print out some stickers on just stick them on the booties of your yoga classmates! That would be fun, huh! Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete