Thursday, October 27, 2011

Strangely Creative

One of the best things about having children is the art projects.  You get to see your child’s creativity, hard work, and pride all in a piece of clay.  They are always beaming when they finally get to bring them home from school and it's adorable.

Now that I am an adult, I realize that my parents probably never knew what to do with some of the projects I brought home.  I also remember being upset when they weren't displayed; therefore, I try to leave Logan and Lindsey’s projects out for as long as I can as décor.    Lindsey’s last piece of artwork though…….I can’t find a place for it.  Let’s just say that Spongebob and brains don’t look good in any of the rooms in the house.  Look at this:


Ready for the funniest part?  This is the inside of the bowl:


It’s a brain!  Isn’t that so weird?  I thought it was hysterical!  I told her that it reminded me of a scene in “Hannibal “but she didn’t know what I was talking about, of course.  Remember when Hannibal cuts off the top of the Ray Liotta’s head and his brain is exposed?  Then he eats it, but I don’t even like remembering that I saw that.  Ewwwwww. 

The boys love this bowl and constantly want to play with it.  They point at the brain and yell “Ball!” 

I just wanted to share this because I thought it was funny.  I always get a kick out of the way that kids' brains work.  Lindsey has a sense of humor, that's for sure.  In case you're wondering, Logan made a bowl that said "GT" for Georgia Tech.  It was very neat and perfect and you could tell that he had worked on it for a very long time.  Their projects, coloring, handwriting, etc., have always been the same.  If I had to compare their styles, I would compare Lindsey's to Picasso and Logan's to Da Vinci.  She's always been very creative, even messy, but that's the way she likes it.  Logan is all about perfect little lines and neatness.  I think it's interesting how different their brains work.  Don and I took them to a museum when they were 2 and a half.  There were pieces of felt on a Velcro wall for kids to play with; Logan and Lindsey grabbed the felt and started playing.   Don made a comment about how they positioned them.  Logan arranged the felt into a square and Lindsey made a collage.  They are still the same kids that they were when they were 2.  Funny.

By the way, Logan got an Outstanding Narrative Award for his writing a couple of days ago.  I haven't read the story yet, but the award is on the fridge.  Now that football is over, the kid is reading like crazy again.  Yesterday he read 400 pages of a Harry Potter book that he had already read.  He said that he had to refresh his memory for a book report for school; he was "jotting down details". He started reading from the time he got home from school until 8:30, when he finally came down for dinner.  That kid cracks me up.  What cracks me up most is that he is so brilliant, yet he makes cheese toast by putting a slice of cheese in the toaster with the bread.  HA!

Here’s your Word of the Day:

perdition \per-DISH-uhn\, noun:

1. A state of final spiritual ruin; loss of the soul; damnation.
2. The future state of the wicked.
3. Hell.
4. Utter destruction or ruin.
5. Obsolete. Loss.

1 comment:

  1. Love the bowl and I'm sure you will find the PERFECT place for it! You know I still have most of your art projects (in the cedar chest!) but the one I finally threw awa (and this is the one you were probably hurt over) was the basket that looked like a very messy bird's nest. You told me it was a centerpiece and when I told you the appropriate "season" was over and you found it in the basement, I thought I had scarred you forever!

    ReplyDelete