Monday, October 10, 2011

Little Cheese Cracker

As all of you know, Carson was scheduled to have surgery today.  He wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything after 8:15.

I went to the living room to grab his socks and when I came into the kitchen Carson said "Mama, I'm eatin'!"  I shouted "WHAT?"  I ran over to see what he had eaten, but the evidence was gone.  I smelled his breath and sure enough, it smelled like a Cheez-It.  I asked him how many crackers he had eaten and he said "One caccker."  I should have called the hospital before heading down there, but I didn't.

We checked in and I told them about the one tiny cracker that he had eaten.  They wouldn't operate.  They said that the fat in the cracker mixes with the acid or something and makes the patient sick.  He would have had to have waited for 8 hours before they could perform surgery and our doctor wouldn't have been there at that point.  They rescheduled for next month, November 11th.  I don't think that there's been a time in my life where I was truly speechless, but I was this time.  There really were no words in that exact second.  I don't know if I even told the lady good-bye.  I was truly speechless.  All of a sudden, thoughts about all of the arrangements I had made were flooding my brain.  I thought about how much planning it took to prepare for this surgery, and then I thought about how I have to do it all over again.  I was calling myself stupid for not catching a lone cracker sitting on the kids' table, I thought about how bad it would have been had I not known about the cracker and he'd gotten sick......a multitude of thoughts were polluting my brain.

I have scheduled my blog entries until next Monday.  I am so irritated; I will leave it alone and let them play out.  I hope you enjoy a little trivia and I hope you get a laugh when it comes to others' misfortunes.  I hope someone is laughing right now because I can tell you, it isn't me.

I also got like 4 hours of sleep last night, so please excuse this horrible writing.  I am really tired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment