Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cheese, Canes, and Monocles

I was driving to the gym this morning and that old song by Jimmy Cliff, “I Can See Clearly Now” came on the radio.  It’s sort of a cheesy song, but I found myself listening to the words and thinking about a couple of my friends who are going through a really difficult time right now.  (If you’re wondering if it’s you then it isn’t.  I have already told them that this entry is for them and told them to read it!) 

I keep sounding like a bumper sticker and Dr. Phil when I give them advice, but there really isn’t another way to say what needs to be said sometimes.  The fact is that sometimes you’re so deep in the fog that you can’t see your way around the thickness and can’t find your way out.  We do a lot of stupid things when we can’t see and we can’t understand what others are doing either.  Then when the fog lifts, we somehow gain perspective.  I can’t tell my friends anything other than “It’ll be ok, just do the right thing and it’ll be ok one day,” because it is the truth.  I am sure that they are ready to punch me in the face, but it’s true that “this too shall pass.” 

As I listened to the song, I started thinking about whether “time heals all pain” because human beings are such slow learners that it takes us a long time to absorb what has happened, accept it, learn from it and move on, or do we just get to a point that we are just too lazy to care anymore and get distracted by our latest troubles?  And sometimes I think that the only reason that we stop caring about a situation isn’t because it’s gotten better or that we’ve grown from it, but because we just get tired of hanging on or caring about the person who has caused us so much turmoil.  I know that I have hated someone so much in my past and the only reason that I stopped hating them is because I just didn’t care about them anymore, therefore I stopped caring about what they did in the first place.  So, is that really learning from a situation?  Or are you then going to find yourself in the same situation with someone else?  I guess we can choose which way we deal with it and I guess that both reasons that "time heals"' are probably true.    

My mom has always told me that God will keep giving us the same lesson to learn until we finally learn it.  I have always tried to remember that when I am in a dreadful situation.  I think to myself “I never want to go through this again, so I had better learn from it or God will give me another dose!” 

Here are the words to the song in case it’s so old that you have forgotten them!  I have only posted two parts because the rest is so ridiculously cheesy, I couldn’t stand it.  To whom this blog is meant for, read these cheesy lines and remember them so I no longer have to sound so cheesy myself.  I don’t even like Dr. Phil! 

I can see clearly now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day
It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day

Oh yes, I can make it now the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is the rainbow I've been praying for
It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day


By the way, on a lighter note, I was on the elliptical today and saw an episode of “Kourtney & Kim Take New York”.  What I am about to say will be interesting even if you don’t give a rat’s ass about the Kardashians.  Here’s a little backgrounder: Kourtney Kardashian has a baby with Scott, who is the biggest douche of all time.  He always has a pastel sweater tied around his shoulders and is usually found crossing his legs and drinking out of straws……you get the point.  But as much as you want to make fun of him, he is entertaining.  In this morning’s episode (I’m sure it’s really old since I’m just now watching it) Scott decides to make a fashion statement.  He wants to pick something that really catches on, so he goes out and buys a cane.  He takes this cane everywhere and poor Kourtney looks like she wants to die.  He uses it as a pointer stick at the coffee shop, saying “You could have a espresso (point) or a hot chocolate (point)”.  I was just giggling like you wouldn’t believe because it was so ridiculous.  It reminded me of this guy that my Uncle Andy knew who wanted to bring back the monocle.  Can you imagine everyone walking around with canes and monocles in their Abercrombie?  Thanks to these people I have something to laugh about!  Below, I posted Scott with his cane, then it's him and his sweater, and then a cat with a monocle.  I just thought that a kitty wearing a monocle was funny-no other reason!







Here's your Word of the Day.  Happy St. Patrick's Day!

quaff \KWOFF; KWAFF\, intransitive verb:
1. To drink a beverage, esp. an intoxicating one, copiously and with hearty enjoyment.
transitive verb:
1. To drink (a beverage) copiously and heartily
noun:
1. An act or instance of quaffing.
2. A beverage quaffed.

No comments:

Post a Comment