Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Note for my Mom

Mom,
Thank you for being there for me every day and for teaching me what you have taught me. Thank you for understanding me and my personality and thank you for accepting me and loving me as I am.  You have always told me to be myself and never change for anyone, unless something about myself sucks and I am being unreasonable.  Haha...good lesson.  You have always accepted my blabbering mouth and taught me how to share my feelings.  (Not sure the rest of the world appreciates this, but thank you anyway.  Haha.)

Thank you for spotting my talents and for encouraging me to use them.  Thank you for teaching me to appreciate books and for supporting my writing.  You have always managed to push me harder throughout my life without making me feel bad about myself, which is not an easy thing to do.  Teaching me that I can demand more of myself without feeling like a failure in the present has come in handy, especially since I have two sets of twins. You have always told me that I can do whatever I put my mind to....my whole life, that's what I heard more than anything else.  You always required me to use my brain and told me that when God gives you a gift, you have a responsibility to use it.  At the same time, you taught me that happiness is more important than money, and that is why I went into writing......thank you for not pushing me into a direction that would have made me miserable, yet maybe more "successful" by other, shallow standards.  If I never publish a thing other than this blog, I followed my heart and abilities and I thank you for teaching me to do that.  You definitely gave me a compass.

You have always been patient with me, even when I am not necessarily being nice to you.  Thank you for teaching me to love others and to ask for forgiveness when I am wrong.  You taught me that I should never be too proud to say I am sorry.  Thank you for teaching me that not everything is black and white.  You have taught me to be accepting of people who are different than me and this is one lesson that has made me very capable of love and friendship.....maybe the most important lesson you could have taught me.  Having an open mind and and trying not to be judgmental has made me a better person and it has allowed me to love a lot of people.  Love is the most important thing in the world. 

I wasn't capable of fully appreciating the work you put into raising me, Ty and Ash until I had Lindsey and Logan.....I continue to appreciate it every day as the kids get older and as I experience the different phases that kids go through.  Thank you for giving me the love and attention that I required because now I know how to be with my children.  Thank you for being a great Nonna and for being there for the kids in a way that I cannot be.

Thank you for teaching me to learn from my mistakes and how to push on toward the future.  You have taught me about strength and courage and how to be happy even when things are crappy.  I have lived a very happy life so far because of this sunny outlook you taught me to have. (Dad, you did this too.  And I think it's somewhat genetic, so thank you!)

I love you, Mom!  I wish I could be there.  Have a great day and RELAX!


Brittany




3 comments:

  1. Such beautiful words and sentiments from a gorgeous and brainy daughter.....thank you sweetheart. I hope you have a beautiful Mother's Day and that the kids give you just what you want....probably some peace and quiet. Your "old-fashioned' Mother's Day card and present will probably be there tomorrow. Love you so. Hugs to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda, thanks for having such a great daughter...who's turned out to be truly a fantastic friend. She's smart, funny, forgiving and extremely courageous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being her friend Katie and for always being such a big part of our lives. You have always made a great pair - ying and yang.

    ReplyDelete