Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter!



I have always loved Easter.  It should be a reminder for me and everyone else that we'll never be perfect, God doesn't expect us to be, and that we are always saved and can ask for forgiveness when we mess up and are sorry.  We should also remember to love each other as we are loved by God, and even though that’s totally impossible because we never will, Easter reminds us that we should at least strive to love each other unconditionally.  The fact that we are loved more by God than we will ever love anyone on the planet is hard for me to imagine when I think about how much I love my children and some others in my life. How is this possible that God loves me that much when he knows every bad thing about me?  Pretty amazing.  I really do believe that we can all be good, if that’s what God believes….how can we not think so?  He says we’re good. 

What I always think of when I think about Jesus is “he was so sweet.”  I know that sounds so juvenile and retarded—of COURSE “Jesus was sweet”.  He was perfect.  But when I think about a sweet, pure heart like that, it just chokes me up. How could they kill such a sweet person?  No matter how many times I watch “Passion of the Christ”, I can never get through it without bawling.  I want to scream at everyone hurting him.  And it’s a movie. 

I have always thought that this is interesting.... I am technically Catholic and grew up with the beautiful cross hanging before me with Jesus’ body.  I noticed in my 20's that most other churches only have the cross hanging up, without the body.  Does this represent a difference in theology?  Do Catholics focus more on the death and Protestants focus more on the resurrection?  Interesting.  I would have to do more research.  Obviously, the death and resurrection are just as important as the other, but I will admit, I tend to focus more on the death and what he went through for us.

I thought about getting the boys a real bunny for Easter, but then I realized that our cat, Chipper would eat it.  Plus, I thought about how I already have to deal with enough messes.  Between the kids having accidents and the cat getting angry and peeing all over our stuff, I can’t handle one more living thing in this house.  That cat is about to find a new home, by the way.  He's the coolest cat when he isn’t peeing, but I am allergic to him and his fur gets all over me when I pet him.  He's pissed at me for ignoring him and his mounds of fur.

Anyway, Happy Easter!  I hope that you have a great Sunday and remember that the holiday is so much more important than the chocolate bunnies and colored eggs. 

By the way, I get to eat Sour Patch Kids now.  I gave them up for Lent.  Yes.  I love them that much.


Easter 2009.  Carson and Dylan were born right before
Easter, so I put them in a basket with grass and
colored eggs.  I wanted them to look like little jelly beans
in those outfits.
This was the next year, Easter, 2010.  I made them sit
in the same basket because I wanted to show how much
they had grown in just one year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment