Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Top 10-Worst Clichés

We all speak in clichés sometimes; and that's because sometimes they are true, but some really irritate me.  I dislike the ones below because they are either stupid or completely false.  Some clichés only exist to make ourselves feel better.


1.      An oldie but a goodie-This just gets under my skin.  It's just beyond cheesy.  I want to throw a drink in the face of the person who first said it.
2.      All's fair in love and war-Who the hell said this?  It's ridiculous.  I'm sure it wasn't a woman who said it.  It was more than likely a man who thought this up 400 years ago and it stuck because people want to be able to say something in an argument that supports their bad behavior.  "Sorry.  I love you, but it's fair because all's fair in love and war.  Now I'm going to bomb some innocent people."  What???  That makes zero sense.  What about breaking someone's heart or killing innocent children is fair? I guess what it is also saying is that you can do whatever you have to do to capture that person or country, regardless of what's right or wrong.
3.      Blood is thicker than water-This can be true, but I have experienced on numerous occasions that it isn't.  I would gladly take the right side for a friend than the wrong one for blood.
4.      Don't bite the hand that feeds you-Unless you are eating out of an a-hole's hand.  Bite him, and bite him hard.  You can find food somewhere else. You don't need his table scraps.
5.      Absence makes the heart grow fonder-I also hear "outta sight, outta mind", so which is it?  Is it both? It's just something people tell you when you miss somebody and it sucks.
6.      Drunk as a skunk-Skunks don't drink alcohol; they don't even act drunk or have a funny walk.  They don't reek of alcohol either. 
7.      Time heals all wounds-This just isn't true because you're always covered in scars.  It's just something people tell you to make you feel better about the pain. 
8.       Good things come to those who wait-I don't always agree with this.  There are a lot reasons why.
9.      Opposites Attract-No they don't.  They might for a little while, but you're going to end up hating the person one day for not having the same traits or personality as you.  I would probably say "Well!  You know what they say!  Opposites attract!" to Katy Perry if she introduced me to her ex-weirdo-Englishman or Carmen Electra back when she was with Dennis Rodman.
10.  It is what it is-This expression makes it sound like you don't care when you really do, or you wouldn't be talking about "it" to begin with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment