Sunday, February 26, 2012

You and Me, Baby, Ain't Nothin' but Mammals

I watched Discovery channel’s “The Science of Sex Appeal” last night and was fascinated by the fact that we are more like animals than we would like to think we are. We are naturally programmed to read other human beings for the sheer need to reproduce. It’s actually so interesting that I don’t even know where to begin.  Just watch it and find out yourself.

I also watched 20/20 on Friday night.  It was about plastic surgery in America.  DISCLAIMER: I do not care if you have had plastic surgery and I am not judging, but the idea of it FOR ME grosses me out.  Don walked in a few times and asked me what was wrong….I guess I was horrified and my face showed it?  First of all, aging sucks, so the show bothered me because I had to think about getting older.  Secondly, the procedures made me want to throw up.  I think it’s weird to put crap in your lips and move belly fat to your ass.  I also don’t think it’s normal for 22-year-olds to be getting Botox.  WHY???  And I’m sorry, but the entire section on breast augmentation…..what is up with these implants?  You have to go in and have them fixed from time to time?  They need maintenance?  It seems like a lot of work!  Now they are putting pigskin over the implant so you won’t see the wrinkles in your chest.  Wrinkles in your chest……pigskin.  Hmmmmmmm.  It just seems so bizarre to me! 

I am extremely hard on myself sometimes and I am not always happy with myself, but the idea of changing something and perhaps coming out looking weirder…..it’s scary!  And as for facelifts and face work in general—I don’t want to look like a jungle animal.  I wish our society was cool with embracing the natural law of aging.  You know, sun block goes a long way.....so does a gym membership and a healthy diet.  Tanning beds—yeah, about the worst thing for your skin, other than cigarettes.  I wish we could just love ourselves and not put each other down.  Maybe we wouldn’t have to go under the knife. 

By the way, the worst procedure is for guys who want to be taller.  OUCH!  They break the bones and extend them with metal rods.  Eventually, the bone will grow back over the rod.  I wanted to scream at the TV “There is a nice girl who will love you at 4 foot 11!”  Poor guys.  That really would be terrible.  I think that out of all of the procedures, the men who wanted to be taller had the most credible reasons for choosing surgery, but it just seems horrific to have to do something like that to yourself just for a girl and respect. 

Instead of a Word of the Day, look at the cutest Batgirl you have ever seen.  My niece, Amélie.


No comments:

Post a Comment