Monday, February 27, 2012

Someplace Sad

I have to go to a funeral today in Buckhead.  My mom's best friend's mom died last week.  Kara (my mom's friend) was my first violin teacher; she met my mom when she was giving me lessons.  I was very young when we met her, like 2 or 3 years old.  Kara is from Atlanta and her mother, Catherine, still lived here when she passed away. 

Catherine was the cutest lady that I have ever met.  She was a chemist for NASA back in the day; this is where she met Kara's dad.  Talk about smart parents, huh? 

Even when Catherine was in her 80's, she still got up and got dressed like the little southern belle that she was.  She dressed like Coco Chanel.  Her mind was still as sharp as a pin and I found her really fascinating.  How could I not?  She was a chemist for NASA when women didn't traditionally work!  DAMN!!!!  That is impressive. 

My mom can't come to the funeral, so I am acting as the rep for our family.  I am looking forward to seeing Kara, even though it isn't the most ideal place to visit with someone.  I haven't seen her husband and two daughters in years, so that will be nice.  They are a really cool family.  Jim (Kara's husband) plays the violin for a living.  Their daughters, Nina and Lily, also play the violin.  I wish I still played. 

No word of the day today.   Have a good Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you darlin' for being my very capable rep. I haven't been able to get my dear sis and daughter off my mind all day. Love you so, Mom

    ReplyDelete