Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Linda Zella Weide



Today marks 4 years since my friend, Katie, lost her mother to cancer and since Linda was like my second mom, I have decided to write a little something for her today.  It's hard for me to think about Katie and her brothers going through life without their mom.  It's also hard knowing that we lost one of the funniest, strongest, most amazing women in existence because it isn't fair. But as soon as I start to think that, I remember that that's not what Linda would have said.  She would have celebrated the memories she had with the person and appreciated the moments she was given. 



Linda was a fighter and she went through life with a joyful attitude.  She fought cancer from the time Katie and I were about 12 until 4 years ago.  You would never have known she was sick because she was happy.  She smiled, she laughed, she went through her days with a positive attitude and MEANT it. She did it on purpose. You could feel her in a room.  She went through life with a fury, that's the thing I remember most about her.  I wrote her a letter right before she passed away because I couldn't fly up to Milwaukee. I told her that I loved the way she "sucked the marrow out of life", which Katie has never forgotten.  She loved that sentence because it was SO her mom.  So today, I will do just that in my own life and everyone who knew her should do the same. This is who Linda was. 

My favorite memories of Linda....speeding through Whitefish Bay, driving a stick shift while dancing and singing to Crocodile Rock.  Laughing at me when I was 19 years old as I squirmed and squealed when I touched meat for the first time.  She taught me how to make pork chops.  Dancing with her at Katie's wedding.  I remember her laughing when someone once said something mean.  THAT I took with me.  I was still rather young and thought "Omg, why isn't she mad?  She laughed!  That's awesome."  I remember her laugh. My gosh, HER LAUGH.  I would do something stupid right now just to hear that again.



As far as her kids go, they are awesome and she did a great job.  Her son Nick, was my first crush when I was 10.   He's grown up to be a wonderful dad and husband.  Her son, Tony, who told me he was going to rip my tongue out of my mouth if I stuck it out at him again (ha ha ha ha, did I actually do that?) grew up to be a dad and a husband and one of the coolest guys you'll meet.  Tony, I am totally sticking out my tongue at you next time I see you.  And Katie, not only does she look just like her mother, but I see so much of her mom in her beliefs and attitudes.  She laughs, she shrugs her shoulders and says "Ah well" when things don't work out, and she has pushed me to fight.  When I have told her I can't do it, she tells me to get back up.  Katie watched her mom do it over and over and it's shaped her to be a fighter too.

Now go suck the marrow out of life.  That's what Linda would have done. 










No comments:

Post a Comment