Friday, July 25, 2014

Flashback Friday-My Favorite Slackers

I always had a crush on the "slacker" in movies growing up.  I know that this is probably due to the fact that the writer of the script meant for me to root for the slacker, but whatever.  I always loved the smart ass who maybe by society's terms was considered a screw-up, but only because they didn't buy into a bunch of bull crap that society wanted them to buy into or they didn't have the best circumstances growing up.   I always loved the best friend, the troublemaker, the smart ass, the guy who couldn't always show the girl exactly how he felt....they are so cute.

Here are my favorite slackers who got the girl who was out of their league....



Troy Dyer, Reality Bites

I would climb Tory Dyer like a tree.  For those of you who haven't seen it, watch it.  Troy is Lelaina's best friend.  They haven't hooked up because they know that it will complicate things, but they are totally in love with each other.  Lelaina starts dating a very nice (but irritating) yuppie named Michael.  Troy says that Michael is "the reason CliffsNotes were invented" and starts getting jealous, but he can't do anything about it because he's afraid of commitment.  He's totally adorable in a really unconventional way. 

Why would I climb him like a tree?  Because he says stuff like this: 

Michael Grates: Have I stepped over some line in the sands of coolness with you? Because excuse me if somebody doesn't know the secret handshake with you.
Troy Dyer:  There's no secret handshake. There's an IQ prerequisite, but there's no secret handshake. 



Brodie, Mallrats



Thank God I grew out of the Brodies, but I would still pick him over Ben Affleck, the man who works at Fashionable Male....and I am 33.


Brodie: Haven't I made it clear during the tenure of our friendship that I don't know sh**?



John Bender, The Breakfast Club




I totally would have fallen for Bender and everyone would have been mad about it.  It's not his fault thoughhhh!
 
Bender: If he gets up, we'll all get up!..It'll be anarchy!





Will Hunting, Good Will Hunting



 I want to cuddle him forever and watch him do equations and eat caramels.  


 Skylar: Maybe we could go out for coffee sometime?
Will: Great, or maybe we could just go somewhere and just eat a bunch of caramels.  
Skylar: What?
Will:
Well when you think about it, it's just as arbitrary as drinking coffee.




Lloyd Dobler, Say Anything
 
Duh.  He's standing outside of her bedroom window after she breaks up with him playing
"In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel, which is the song that played when they first had sex. Of course he's on this list.  He may not have had his life together exactly, but he landed the gorgeous valedictorian and went with her to London.


Diane Court: Nobody thinks it will work, do they?
Lloyd Dobler: No. You just described every great success story.

 

Brian Flanagan, Cocktail

This movie is so cute.  He was a cute bartender, she was a rich girl....and they have twins at the end. 

Brian:  Days get shorter, nights longer and longer, before you know it, your life is just one long night with a few comatose daylight hours.


A.J., Empire Records

A.J. wasn't really a slacker, but he was in love with his best friend and couldn't tell her because she was in love with some douche bag.  He decides to tell her at 1:37 in the afternoon. 

AJ: You know, I got to tell her that I, uh, well, you know, that I uh...
Joe: You love her.
AJ: Yeah, now how do I do that?
Joe: You say I love you. What do you want, written instructions?



 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment