Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cheer Party

Last night we had our end of the year cheer party at Menchies—it’s a frozen yogurt place (in case you don’t have one where you live).  The girls and their parents gave us gift cards—so sweet and thoughtful.  It wasn’t easy coaching with two toddlers and it wasn’t easy for Melissa either because she is pregnant, but seeing that the girls had so much fun and learned so much made all of the work worth it.

The trainers awarded the girls with special megaphones; they were really cute.  The reason that they were special is that they each had a title under their name.  For example, we had a “Most Spirited”, a “Miss Congeniality”, a “Most Improved” award, etc.  Lindsey and Hannah (Melissa’s daughter and Lindsey’s best friend) got awards called “The Inseparables”.  This is the social, talkative, always goofing around together and attached-at-the-hip award.  Hannah and Lindsey were laughing and talking when they received it, so it totally fit.  Hannah and Lindsey are in like 5 out of 7 classes together at school.  When Melissa and I heard about this we freaked, but so far it’s been alright…..we warned the teachers about them.

Melissa and I talked to the trainers for a long time after the party had ended.  They told us what high school kids are doing right now to get into trouble and we told them to enjoy their youth.  We told them not to have serious boyfriends, but to enjoy the time they have with their girlfriends.  They were asking us for OUR crazy teenage stories.  We looked at each other, laughed and said “NOOOOOO way!”  It was hilarious.  They were really cute. 

I have considered teaching high school English many times, but for some reason I always talk myself out of it.  I worry that I wouldn’t be good with teenagers or that they would walk all over me or something.  But when I really listen to teenagers, I like them and I remember what it was like to be in that bizarre limbo when you aren’t yet an adult, but you aren’t a small child.  It is such a confusing and tough age.  There is so much pressure put on them, especially nowadays.  I look at them and see this sweetness, even when they aren’t acting sweet.  They are still kids and it makes me want to help them in some way.  Last night after I talked to the girls, I got an urge to teach yet again.  Maybe one day......

Here’s the Word of the Day:

metempirical \met-em-PIR-i-kuhl\, adjective:

1. Beyond or outside the field of experience.
2. Of or pertaining to metempirics.

No comments:

Post a Comment