Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Prickly Pear


love my sister, the Prickly Pear, otherwise known as Ashli Nichole.  My mother has called her Prickly Pear her whole life because she is this beautiful, tiny thing but she has had prickles about her ever since she was a little girl. We've always said it's because she was born breech and with crossed eyes. She spent the first year of her life with headaches and it didn't help to have an older sister like me, I'm sure, and a twin brother to share with. I had always been the easiest baby and child for my mother, and I thought everything was funny, probably at Ash's expense.

She didn't like to swing when she was a baby; I'm not sure anyone would if everything was blurry. I walked up to Ash's swing when my mom wasn't looking and I pushed her, giggled and ran off. She'd then scream and my mom would yell "Brittany Elizabeth!!!!" I also used to take Ash and Ty's pacifiers and stick them both in my mouth. But I mean, come on. I was two and then these two babies came along! I'm sure I was upset about that. Anyway, I guess I picked at her. 

Ashli also had OCD. If even one pea rolled into her mashed potatoes, she would take her plate and dump it on the ground.  She couldn't ever play dolls with me because she'd take so long organizing all of her crap and getting everything prepped to play, I would get bored and run off.  The OCD continued as she got older, so when I was around 12 until I was an adult, I used to go into her room and move everything by 1/35th of a centimeter, and she knew!!! I found this remarkable! I mean, how can one be that anal? Of course, I knew she would notice, that's why I did it. I thought it was funny and I used to laugh my ass off. 

As we got older, we didn't change much by nature. I lived with her and shared a room for a little while and it was clear that I was about as easy going as a person could be and Ash still liked everything just so. But rather than move things and try to annoy her, I tried to make her happy as best as I could. We got really close that year. We realized that in some ways we are polar opposites, and yet we are so much alike. Our goofy sense of humor, our outlook on life, our need to always be moving forward and strive to be better, our faith in God, our views on parenting.....the list goes on and on. 

I think all of these quirks are so adorable and they make Ash who she is. She did the "things you don't know about me" on Facebook and I had forgotten that my brother tried to sell her on the playground. This reminded me of 2 of my favorite stories. Sorry, Ash....

1.) Ash wanted a black Cabbage Patch doll, which she named Tia Ria. I love that because it wasn't the norm, which is pretty much my sister. She's always been unique.

2.) She snuck Ms. Potatohead earrings to school and put them on before her kindergarten pictures. My mom got the proofs and couldn't believe it. It's gone down in the Ashli Hall of Fame. I giggle even thinking about that. 

Ash, although I picked at you when you were little, I have simply gotten a kick out of you. You've grown into the funniest, quirkiest girl with a huge heart and I love you!  I will never forget the time I threw a glass of water in your face to get you to shut up, and then how I stood there in disbelief that my arm had acted alone! Our ability to laugh WHILE we are mad at each other is what makes us unbreakable. Your compassion for your patients and others in your life is amazing and I love to watch you in action. You're an amazing sister, friend, and mother and I love you so much! 

Ash's About Me





1 comment:

  1. My dear Lord....I adore my girls. Thanks for the walk down memory lane Britt....I can't believe you "outed" me on my nickname for Ash though....LOL!

    ReplyDelete