Friday, September 14, 2012

Flashback Friday-Shirley Temple

My favorite movies when I was a little girl were "The Wizard of Oz", "Annie", and any that starred Shirley Temple.  Shirley Temple was my absolute favorite.

For a while, I thought that Shirley Temple was a little girl like I was.  I had no idea that she was an old lady and married with the name "Shirley Temple-Black".  I remember the moment when I realized that she was not my age.  It was traumatic.  My mom took me to the library one day and I had a stack of books about Shirley Temple.  I was, I don't know, around 4 years old maybe?  I was definitely under 5 because my parents were still married.  Anyway, I told the librarian that I was going to write Shirley Temple a letter and invite her to come over to play with me.  The librarian said "Oh, but she's an old lady now!"  I started crying and my mom says she glared at her and said "Thanks a lot!  Why did you feel the need to tell her that?"  Telling me this was like someone telling a child that Santa isn't real.  I remember that moment so vividly.  I hated Shirley Temple's married name and I was so sad that she wasn't a little girl.  I guess at 4 or 5 years old, the whole black and white movie thing doesn't tip you off right away.....or not for a little Brittany.

I have a Shirley Temple doll collection, by the way.  I am slowly giving them to Lindsey.

Have a great Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment