Monday, April 16, 2012

Wrap Up the Day with a Big Red Bow

If you remember back about a month ago, Lindsey had a dance competition and we almost missed the first stage time because of the nerd convention, the St. Patrick's Day parade, and an auto show....which was an absolute nightmare.  Remember that I jumped out with the girls at the curb while the other mother parked the car?  We ran through the convention center and got there with 60 seconds to spare. 
Lindsey had another dance competition yesterday at the convention center next to the airport.  We got up and ready at 6:00 and we left at 8:00.  (Lindsey, two other dancers, their moms and I carpooled again.)  We made jokes about what could go wrong, knowing that we were completely prepared.....or so we thought.  After all, there wasn’t a Star Wars convention, an auto show, or parade; we were good to go....right?  We were supposed to be there at 9:30.  Our first stage time was 10:30 and our second was at 11:55.  We arrived on time and seeming to be in one piece.  The girls got dressed for their first dance and as I rummaged through Lindsey's bag, I noticed that she didn't have her hair bow for the tap dance, which was at 11:55.  We all started to panic because there wasn't an extra bow and the teachers told me that she could not go on stage without it.  They asked me to go home to get it, but I didn't think I could make it.  Lindsey started to cry and I told her to calm down because she would ruin her make-up.  I told her that I would fix it and not to worry.  We thought about possible solutions that wouldn't include an hour and a half car ride.... finding ribbon, cutting a bow in half, and so on....but once we saw the bows on the girls' heads, we remembered that any idea other than going home was utterly ridiculous.  See the picture below to see why. 

These bows are like as big as my femur.  There's Lindsey, to
the left, in the front, without the bow.

The bow is like two feet wide!  I called Grammy and Grandaddy (absolute angels of mercy) and they said that they would run by the house, get Lindsey's bow out, and then come out to the convention center by the airport to deliver it. 

The girls did amazing on their first performance and then they came backstage to change.  At this point, I was like "Well, if we don't get the bow, we don't get the bow."  The other moms were panicking, the teachers were panicking and people were starting to talk behind my back about the missing bow.  I was not a  favorite at that moment.  As soon as I got the call that they were on Camp Creek Parkway, I hauled ass outside and waited for them to pull up to the building.  I saw their car, ran to the bow, shouted my thanks and turned around to run back. Another girl met me at the door, grabbed the bow and sprinted to where Lindsey was.  They were on stage within three minutes.  It was a close call and she almost didn't make it.  I should mention something...they were running early and she went on 20 minutes earlier than they were scheduled. 

Then.....hopefully you are still with me because this is funny.....the girls stepped onto the stage and as soon as the music started, another little girl's bow fell off of her head and she had to dance the whole time without it.  We started laughing, not at the girl, but because there was SO much drama over a damn bow and we still ended up dancing without one.  I'm not sure if it made my mistake any more acceptable, but it made us laugh about the situation and no one can blame me. 

I am really sorry that this is so long, but the day isn't finished being freaky.  I hadn't eaten anything all day and when we left, it was around 1:00.  I had coffee, but I forgot to eat actual food.  The girls begged us to go to Zaxby's, but we ended up going to Steak 'n Shake.  We were all starving and about ready to gnaw our arms off.  It was busy and we had to put our names in.  Everyone stared at the girls because they had a ton of make-up on and no costumes, so we looked like "those moms" taking their street-walker daughters to Steak 'n Shake for a good time.  HAHA.  Anyway, we waited about 20 minutes and Grammy and Grandaddy randomly showed up with Peyton and Logan.  They were seated first.  We waited for about an hour and were finally seated.  Then the waiter came about 10 minutes after that to tell us that he was going to take someone else's drink orders first and he'd be back. We were like OMG, WE ARE GOING TO DIE of STARVATION!!!  I was ready to nibble on a crayon and my hands were shaking!  So finally, he takes our order and apologizes by throwing in free milkshakes.  Cool.  Our food finally comes and one of the orders is wrong.  They bring a "correction" which was an entirely wrong order again.  Before we know it, the one mother has three different plates of the wrong food.....she was so hungry, she didn't care anymore and they were so embarrassed that they didn't give us a bill at all, which we felt weird about.  We tipped them, thanked them, and went home. 

We had decided not to stay for the awards because they are absolute torture.  The announcers are hired, I think, BECAUSE you can't understand them.  Well, when I got home and checked my email, I found out that the girls got 4 trophies. For Jazz they received 1st place, the "Too Hot to Handle" Award, and 3rd place overall.  For Tap, the dance with the giant bow, they received 1st place.  Great job, Spotlights!



The Roof, The Roof, The Roof is on Fire!
Lindsey is in the front row, all the way to the right. 


Lindsey, (when you read this one day) even though this is stressful sometimes, it is a joy to watch you dance and I love every minute of it.  You are so beautiful and talented and I am really proud of you. 

I am going to the High today with Kerri.  Yay!  Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment