Sunday, July 10, 2011

Weekend Word

I've decided that from now on I will just post a Word of the Day on the weekends.  I'm much too busy on Saturday and Sunday to write more than that. 

I hope that you are having a great weekend!  Logan and Lindsey are doing well.  I talked to them yesterday for a while and they are having a great time.  Logan is reading "Harry Potter" after devouring other books that my mom has passed onto him.  She said that he reads so quickly that she says "Logan, there's NO way that you finished that."  She quizzes him, and sure enough, he's comprehended everything.  She said that I used to do the same thing and she told Logan "You are just like your Mama!"  I don't think that Lindsey has done any reading.  Lindsey tells me "I like stories, but I don't like reading them with my eyes."  Cringe.

I've been reading "Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen and it's of course, excellent.  He has been called the "Mark Twain of our time", and I for one agree.  He weaves everything together so beautifully and he's really good with themes.  You sense what he's getting at, but he isn't preachy and in your face about his ideas and opinions. He's very clever.  Read him-you're missing out if you haven't. 

Here's the Word of the Day:


skylark \SKAHY-lahrk\, verb:

1. To frolic; sport.

1 comment:

  1. Logan is falling asleep every night with Harry Potter - what a flashback.....I used to sneak in to your room and take your book away and turn off the light. Lindsey may not be reading but she is the belle of the block - friends flocking to her and fighting for a date with her. Enjoy Franzen. Can't wait to read it. You have to read "The Help." NPR says it could be one of the most important pieces of fiction since Mockingbird. I'm so hooked.

    ReplyDelete