Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Footprints in the Sand

My great-grandma always told my mom that you should never go to bed angry.  She said that you should always speak to someone like it's the last time that you will see them, because it very well could be.  My mom taught me this when I was a little girl and I wish I could say that I always remembered it, but like most human beings, I forget it.  Sometimes we get too comfortable with the people we love and we take each other for granted....and then something happens that makes you count your blessings.  I don't want to talk about the reason I am thinking about all of this, please just pray for a girl I know and appreciate everything and everyone you have, today, because what she is going through is the hardest thing imaginable.  If you are happy, embrace that.  If you are upset, just try to think about the blessings that you have been given. 

I have been hugging and kissing my babies all day and thinking about all of the people I love in my life.  I have been thinking about how short life is and how blessed we are to have the relationships we have and the time we are given.  No matter how hard things are, someone always has it harder and I believe that there is a purpose for everything and everyone in your life.  I really wish I could be a perfect daughter, mother, sister and friend, but unfortunately I am not, so I am taking the time right now to say that I appreciate you. 

I have always loved this, and even though you have probably already seen it, I thought I would post it today.  When I feel alone, this is often what I think about and it makes me feel better.   We all go through things that we feel like we can't handle and this helps me deal......


Footprints in the Sand


One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. 
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky. 
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. 
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints. 
Other times there were one set of footprints. 
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life 
When I was suffering from anguish, sorrow, or defeat, 
I could see only one set of footprints. 
So I said to the Lord, "You promised me, Lord, 
That if I followed you, you would walk with me always. 
But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life 
There have only been one set of prints in the sand. 
Why, When I have needed you most, you have not been there for me?"
The Lord replied, 
"The times when you have seen only one set of footprints 
Is when I carried you."

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts Brittany. I'm glad you remember those teachings from Grandma Wyant. Wisdom worth remembering. Prayers tonight for your dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, one of Grandma Jansen's favorite poems (Footprints). It was read at her funeral.

    ReplyDelete