Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Book Respect


Why is it that when you loan someone a book you're almost certain that you will never see it again?  Oh, I know!  Because 99 percent of the time, you never do. I let someone borrow a book and as soon as it's out of my fingers, I kick myself in the ass because I was just stupid.

Is there an unwritten rule that says "books do not have to be returned to their owners"?  Did our parents teach us that librarians are just wimps and that the borrowing agreement doesn't really apply?  Or is it that people always have the intention to read your book, but they never get around to reading it, so they just think that they can keep it for the next 35 years until they do?  It drives me absolutely nuts and it is extremely rude.  It's a strange phenomenon that people assume you don't want your books back, especially since libraries will send your account to bill collectors if you don't return their books.  Do people assume that because you have read it there is no reason for you to own it anymore because it's already been read?  I used to keep my textbooks in college if they were good, so I can assure you.....I do not apply to this  little theory.  I keep my books as a reference, but how am I supposed to refer back if the BOOK IS NOT THERE????

My parents have an entire attic full of books that I will inherit when they die.  In fact, if they loan me a book, I do not have to return it because it's mine one day anyway. But as far as I know, I do not have any kind of agreement with anyone else I know that states that my books are theirs, even if I die.  So cough 'em up!  It seriously drives me up a freaking wall.  I think that what people must do is loan your books out to other people, they can't get them back, and then they just avoid you altogether because they know that your book is long gone.  And books are expensive! What is that???

You know, if I have ever had a problem with electronic books, I don't now.  If I read electronically, no one can run off with my file.  I can hoard my little library and not make it vulnerable by sitting on a shelf.

I don't care if I sound rude or stupid because you know it's true because it's happened to you.  Here's the deal.....there's going to be an uncomfortable moment when anyone asks me for a book from now on.  I will ask for their jewelry as collateral.  Hope you are laughing by now.


1 comment: