Thursday, February 13, 2014

Why Valentine's Day Sucks



Tomorrow is Valentine's Day.  I write a blog every year about why I absolutely HATE canned love holidays, or, well, I guess just Valentine's Day because it's the only one.  Keep reading....it isn't because I am single.  I have always hated it. I don't need a day to justify myself, and if you are single, don't buy into that....it's stupid. 

Why?

What it boils down to is this: I don't like the idea of someone being forced to send me flowers or take me to a crowded restaurant where we both have to eat heart-shaped steaks and pink desserts just so he won't be considered a jerk and I won't feel unloved.  I would rather him take me out randomly on a weekday because he feels like it.  I hate waiting in silence at a restaurant for hours on Valentine's Day night...you're in silence because your blood sugar is so low that you could eat your own limb. By the time you sit down to eat, you're so grouchy, you don't' even want to talk to the other person.  Then after stuffing yourself, you HAVE to go home and have forced Valentine's Day sex because it says something about your relationship if you don't.  Not that I hate sex, quite the opposite, but I hate someone telling me I have to be lovey and mushy because it's a day on a calendar.  How about I watch TV just to spite Hallmark?  I don't like rose petals on a bed because it's cheesy, I just.....ick.  I don't know.  That stuff freaks me out.  I would settle for a grilled cheese and snuggling on the couch, and no rose petals.  What is that anyway?   I don't like anything that feels forced.  I am not seduced by gimmicks.  I wish I were because then maybe a guy would have a clue as to what to do with me, but honestly, there isn't a way for me to describe it except this....when I want a person, I just do and I just want the dude to want me back.  I just want to feel something and say I love you and hear the same thing.  That's it. 

Now don't think this means I am low-maintenance. I am actually a pain in the ass. I require attention and conversation the whole year.  I come off easy because I don't give a rat's ass about presents and dinners and chocolates and flowers.  Trust me.  Most guys would probably rather send flowers and be done with it than to be with me.  BUT, I am truly passionate and things like conversation and time together is pretty much all I care about.  Oh how I wish I could be bought with a bag or a box of chocolates. Maybe the idea is that you are supposed to get both?  I don't know.  

Either way, I will be going to dinner with my friend and I will be going to a ballet. And it'll be glorious! Heehee

No comments:

Post a Comment