Friday, February 14, 2014

Sinking in Skin

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea, My love as deep;
the more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite."
-Juliet, Romeo and Juliet-Shakespeare



I am going to see Atlanta Ballet's "Romeo and Juliet" tonight.  I can't wait.  I am taking my friend, Kasie.  Just a few words about "Romeo and Juliet".....clearly beautiful, obviously tragic, understandably a classic, and not far-fetched....at least in my opinion.  When I hear the expression "young love", I don't think YOUNG as having anything to do with your age, but the feeling that you get when you are in love, no matter how old you are.  I am 33 years old, but I will lose my head in love.  I will play and wrestle like a teenager I will get butterflies, and I will do anything to make the other person happy....because that's what falling in love does to you. 

Then there's what happens when it develops into real love.....

Bush's opening lyrics to "Glycerine" are "It must be your skin that I'm sinking in, it must be for real 'cause now I can feel".  Have you ever loved someone so much that you feel like you can't get close enough to them?  And I mean, you're CLOSE, if you know what I mean.  It's physically impossible to be any closer, and it's still not enough. When you love someone this much, you feel like you were dead before you loved them and the thought of not having them in your life is unbearable. If you've never felt love like this, you haven't lived. Sinking in another's skin.....Star-crossed or not, it's beautiful. It's a bond that I don't understand. It's so innocent. You never expect it and can't explain it. 

Forget a Valentine's Day meal and forced V-Day sex.  Forget anniversaries even.  You want to know what I find romantic?

I find this romantic....the feeling that you would do anything for another person, proving it, and having that person feel the same way.  When there is bad weather, you think about that person's safety and they think about yours.  When you are feeling awful about something in your life and when you are as happy as you've ever been....you want to tell that person first and they want to hear it.  When you are exposed and comfortable enough for a person to see everything good and bad about you, that's real romance.  When you have a friendship so strong that nothing seems to ruin it and yet you just happen to want to sink in each other's skin?  That's where it's at.  Give me that.  I don't want chocolates.

I won't settle for anything less than this feeling. 



No comments:

Post a Comment