Monday, October 21, 2013

It Begins With You



Have you ever known someone who complains about their life or an issue and yet does absolutely nothing about it?  I have to admit, I hate this. As I've gotten older, I've learned to spend my time helping and advising people who actually believe that change is possible and that it begins with them. There's nothing more frustrating than wasting hours and days and years on a person who doesn't really care to change themselves or their situation, or at least care enough to do it themselves. And I do understand that sometimes it's difficult, but if you seek a friend's advice, you should at least try something out of your comfort zone because that's exactly where change begins....when you're uncomfortable. 

Do people just expect to snap their fingers and POOF, their life is suddenly different? Everything good in life takes more work than sitting on your ass and complaining about it. 

I may have many flaws, but one thing I don't do is sit and bitch while doing nothing about my situation. You know what happens when you decide to fix something you don't like? You wake up days, months, years later and you aren't bitching anymore because the situation is different. Then you're on to conquering another mountain. That's life. 

I was thinking recently about when Logan and Lindsey were two, because it was an overwhelming time. I'd say much like right now, except I'm older and more graceful, so there will never be a time that's as bad as that time......They were very difficult toddlers, I was in college in Chicago sometimes full-time, commuting back and forth between there and Milwaukee, and working full-time at Wells Fargo, I had bills, no child support, it really sucked.....I was pretty much miserable and overwhelmed and I cried a lot. I had way too much on my plate for a 22-year-old, in my opinion. BUT I went to bed saying one thing to myself "I just have to graduate, then it'll be better" and I fully believed that.  I would fall asleep studying, sitting up in a completely lit room and then screamed "NO!" when I'd wake up at 4 a.m. because I'd realize I hadn't finished studying for my test. So I'd study at 4 a.m. Not only did I say "I just have to graduate" but I had to get A's. And I pretty much did with the exception of a few B's and my math grade at Georgia State....we don't talk about that. Anyway, It took a lot of work, AND other people trying to help when they could. I've always been thankful for that. When I met Don, I wrapped up the last two years and he and his family were awesome and helped me while I breezed right through. The first two years nearly killed me though. I look back at that time and cringe. 

Gosh, I was such a young girl. I would never go back to 22. Ever. I have even more on my plate now than back then, but wow. I'm really not the same person. I just want to give Young Brittany a hug and tell her she'll be ok, but she already believed that it would be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment