Thursday, October 17, 2013

Do Nice Guys Finish Last?



When I was doing my dating series, a guy asked me to write about why girls love jerks and the nice guy finishes last. I never got to it....

Because I don't know the answer. 

I have written a little about this in the past, and I have many theories, but I still don't really know the answer.  The only logical answer to me is that nice people put up with more crap and want to turn people who suck into people who don't suck. Nice guys also like bad girls, so it goes both ways. I don't get that at all, by the way, so I'm not even going there.  As far as women go though, I think we like mothering and fixing things and people. We like making over ugly girls, ugly rooms, ugly situations....why would our approach to men be any different? Other than it makes ZERO sense? But I mean, then again, we probably do a lot of things that make no sense. 

Take this for example....One of my guy friends asked why it's such a big deal to us that the toilet seat has to be put down after they pee. I said because we fall in. He said Well why don't you guys have to put it down? I said You guys are the ones who have to put it up, so why wouldn't you? He asked a couple more questions and I finally said Because! That's our compensation for not getting to stand and pee. AND you guys can pee anywhere, unlike us, so we get the toilet seat. It is dirty and we don't like to touch it. That's just the way it is. And that IS the way it is. How long has this joke/argument existed? Probably since outhouses ceased to exist. 

We do crazy things to our hair, our face, our bodies, we analyze everything, and yet we love jerks. That's just the way it is.

What if the whole thing is this: we want to feel needed. What if the nice guys, the ones who don't need fixing, simply don't make us feel needed? What if we just don't know what to do without some kind of project at hand? Then again, we don't feel needed with jerks either because they're unappreciative bastards. So this makes no sense. 

If we need a project, we should stick to knitting. 

I've also considered the whole good girl/bad boy thing. Good girls want the boy that's going to show them excitement without them having to actually make a decision about it. However, good and bad are relative and simply too complicated for me to break down in one sitting. I mean, I'm an angel in some ways and a vixen in others. It's all what your perspective is.

So you see? I have ZERO clue, but I do know this....women grow out of that, most of the time. So nice guys don't finish last, they just get a rough start. They end up more appreciated after a slew of horrible guys. 

One more thing, I also believe that nice guys are so busy respecting us and contemplating whether or not we will even consider them, because we're so beautiful, while they're waiting, sometimes the jerk just creeps right in and snatches us up first without any hesitation. Then a habit of bad choices in men begins and we don't know the difference until down the road, we think Wow. Not all guys are like that? 

Nope. 

1 comment:

  1. It's been my experience that nice guys rarely finish last, but you're right, they can have a rough start. Weak men finish last. Losers, a.k.a. "bad boys," finish last. Broken little man children, a.k.a. "little boys," finish last. That doesn't mean that all successful men are nice. Nor does it mean that all nice men are successful. But, I am sure that educated, thoughtful, strong, "gentlemen" tend to succeed. He's the man who pulls your chair out for you, opens your car door, always compliments your appearance, discusses the things you want to discuss, makes you feel comfortable when you feel awkward, encourages you to serve your highest purpose and pursue your passions.

    Life is a marathon, not a sprint. The bad guys eventually get old, have nothing left to offer, and quit the race. The good guys finish.

    ReplyDelete