Monday, April 29, 2013

The Handyman in Me....there isn't one

What did I do this past weekend?  I busted my butt.  Friday night I took the kids on a picnic and to the park and we all crashed pretty early.  Saturday morning I got up and we went to the gym.  (Logan went hunting and fishing with his uncle.)  As soon as I got home from the gym, I cleaned the house and did laundry all day.  I worked on projects that I'd been ignoring because I had not felt like tackling them while I was job hunting.  So here's what I have to say.....I am not what you would call "handy", like, at all.  My adorable tool kit is purple and my power drill is pink, and the best thing that I can say about me with a tool in my hand is that it probably matches what I am wearing.  I seem to make things worse when I decide to "fix" something.  I was painting the cabinets at one point and this weekend I finally got around to screwing the doors back on.  I broke the head of the screw off, and it turns out, I was using the wrong screw.  That's probably why, I guess?  I don't have the patience, nor the finger strength because my hands just aren't, I don't know.  They just don't work.....this is my excuse and I am sticking to it.  You see, as far as the handywork goes, my boys watched me....this makes me both happy and scared.  First of all, if my kids can watch me attempt to do something that I suck at instead of calling a man to do it for me (when you know that you'll end up owing something to that person and I am not about to roll like that), well then awesome.  At least I tried.  It makes me scared though too because I really don't know what I am doing and MY BOYS are watching me.  Carson and Dylan were handing me tools and saying "What's this?"  And I was making up names that sounded good, like "twirly thing" and "socket wrench" when I am almost positive I don't know what a socket wrench looks like.  Does it look like an arm and shoulder?  If so, I told them correctly.  Except for the hammer and screw driver, I am pretty lost. 

Yesterday I missed church because I woke up around 2:30 in the morning and couldn't sleep until 5:00.  There was a storm, so I assume that's what woke me.  I have actually been sleeping pretty well lately.  Carson woke up too and climbed into bed with me.  We were both trying to go to sleep for a while and I could tell that he wasn't yet asleep, so I said "What are you thinking about all quiet and in the dark, Carson?"  He said "I was thinking about Spiderman."  Ha ha.  I was thinking about how I want to make a creative headboard out of shutters or doors and move my bed to the other side of the room to make it look different. 

By the time I woke back up, it was too late to go to church and I was groggy.  I folded laundry, had some coffee, ran errands in the rain, and cleaned out my car so I can detail it this week.  Later, I watched a really boring movie with the kiddos.  I mean, I was really bored.  I was analyzing my fingerprints while I pretended to know what was going on.  It was called Arthur and the Invisible something or others.  I can't remember.  It may not be a bad movie; I may have just been brain dead.  I think Snoop Dogg was in it.  It can't be that bad.

I hope that everyone had a good weekend and that you all feel rested and well going into the week.  I am sort of happy it rained because it forced me to stay inside and work.  I really love being outside.

By the way, I mowed the grass last week.  UMMMMMM shall I say NOOOO!  Never DO THAT AGAIN???  That was a nightmare.  I don't even want to talk about it, except to say that I was whipped around the yard like a rag doll!  It was pulling me around and every time I tried to turn with it, I was practically airborn!  I never want to cut the grass again.  That sucked.  And I couldn't breathe afterward.  I must be allergic to whatever was in the backyard.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment