Saturday, April 27, 2013

Food Rules



I am SO excited.  There's a Whole Foods down the street from my work.  I LOVE Whole Foods.  I wish I had one by my house, but this makes me just as happy.

I can't remember if I have written about the book "Food Rules", but I feel like I have in the past.  You should really consider reading this book if you are curious about what you should or should not be eating.  There's so much confusion about what makes a healthy diet, but when you read this book, you realize that it really isn't confusing.  It's common sense.  Once you get the basics down, you can fine tune your diet and start looking at the more "complicated" issues. 

Side note....I had Zaxby's two days ago because I hadn't eaten all day and I was being impulsive.  I was sick within thirty minutes of eating it.  I felt like I was going to throw up and I stayed nauseated for over 24 hours.  It's just not worth it for me to eat crap.  The only fast food that doesn't seem to make me sick is Chick-fil-a and even then, I feel like I am retaining 20 pounds of water for two or three days after I eat it.  I prefer a clean diet. 

Here's the basic rule that I always remember when it comes to eating and if anyone asks me anything about food, this is what I say: Food is supposed to rot.  You aren't supposed to peel it from a wrapper, and the closer it looks to its original form, the better.  If there are a bunch of ingredients you can't pronounce on the back, choose something else.  This is the easiest thing to remember all day, then you can fine tune after that and it isn't overwhelming.  Another tip, first shop on the outside of the lanes of grocery stores and only go down the middle aisles for extra ingredients that you need for your fresh foods.

I made muffins from scratch for the kids a couple of years ago.  I used the freshest ingredients I could and hid veggies in them.  (The recipe was from Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook).  I should have frozen these muffins because they were rotten within two days.  Normally what happens if you leave baked goods out?  Nothing.  They may get stale in like a week?  Not good.  Freeze fresh food....so much better. 

I had a really good breakfast yesterday because I wasn't very hungry.  I had about a cup and a half of plain Greek yogurt, honey, a tiny bit of granola, and a few almonds and cranberries.  I would normally need something else to eat, but like I said, I was still sick from the Zaxby's and not very hungry. 

Get this book....awesome.  It's short and sweet. 


http://michaelpollan.com/books/food-rules/

No comments:

Post a Comment