Monday, December 31, 2012

Wise Words Going Into 2013 (not my own)




I don't make New Year's Resolutions because I think that they are stupid.  When you know you should be doing something, you should just do it, regardless of the day of the year.  I said this last year, and I say it every year....You set yourself up for failure if you make a to-do list for yourself based on a date, not to mention, it's very negative and not a great way to improve yourself.  Look at the people swarming to the gym every January.  I have been there a long time and I can tell you, the attendance is annoyingly high in January and February and drops off in March.  If you would pick a day in July to start going to the gym, maybe you would have ROOM to work out and actually FIND a machine to use, rather than being like everyone else and going crazy in January and eventually losing interest in March because you haven't noticed a difference because you can't ever get to a machine.  Physical health and fitness is a way of life, it isn't a fad and anyone will fail miserably until they realize this.  Learn to love it, and it will be your way of life.

I may not make resolutions, but I do believe in assessing yourself every year.  Every New Year and every birthday, I reflect on how I am different and what I have learned.  I'm not going to go into that this year because it's too personal.  This is something no one ever seems to hear from me because I am an open book, but this time, it is too personal.  I have been through a lot this year and that's all I will say.  I think that everyone should reflect on themselves once or twice a year because that's how you improve and set goals and discover your dreams. 

I found some quotes yesterday that I think are great for today.  They are from "Eat Pray, Love" and anyone who has ever heard me talk about this book knows that I love the idea of what Liz Gilbert did (she traveled the world in order to find herself and God after a divorce), but they also know that she isn't my favorite person.  Regardless of what I think of her, this is great stuff and I thought I would share:

The Physics of the Quest

In the end, I've come to believe in something I call "The Physics of the Quest." A force in nature governed by laws as real as the laws of gravity. The rule of Quest Physics goes something like this: If you're brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting, which can be anything from your house to bitter, old resentments, and set out on a truth-seeking journey, either externally or internally, and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher and if you are prepared, most of all, to face and forgive some very difficult realities about yourself, then the truth will not be withheld from you.

Imagine where you could go with your life if you were always forgiving, open, and brave. 

Transformation:

Maybe my life hasn't been so chaotic. It's just the world that is and the only real trap is getting attached to any of it. Ruin is a gift. Ruin is the road to transformation.

It sucks, but this is true.  How many times have you admired someone who has been through hell and yet is unwilling to be a victim?  It's our scars that make us stronger and better people...or not, I guess, if you have a crappy attitude.  I was always taught that pain and suffering will lead you to becoming a better person. 

Soul Mates:
“People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.

A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave.

A soul mate's purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master...”


So true.  It's someone you want to be better for and who wants the best for you, without selfish intent.

Why aren't we attracted to some people?  Why are we?  Why can't we explain it?

“One thing I do know about intimacy is that there are certain natural laws which govern the sexual experience of two people, and that these laws cannot be budged any more than gravity can be negotiated with. To feel physically comfortable with someone else's body is not a decision you can make. It has very little to do with how two people think or act or talk or even look. The mysterious magnet is either there, buried somewhere deep behind the sternum, or it is not. When it isn't there (as I have learned in the past, with heartbreaking clarity) you can no more force it to exist than a surgeon can force a patient's body to accept a kidney from the wrong donor. My friend Annie says it all comes down to one simple question: "Do you want your belly pressed against this person's belly forever --or not?”

You know it's frustrating when someone is perfect on paper and yet you wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole.  Why is that?  We don't know. Why are you drawn to people with no good explanation?  Why do you click with someone and not another? 


Anyway, I will see you in 2013!  That's crazy.  2013.  I don't know how this happens.




No comments:

Post a Comment