Friday, July 20, 2012

Flashback Friday-You're Not Lost

I am reading "I Feel Bad About My Neck And Other Thoughts On Being A Woman" by Nora Ephron.  The title is pretty self-explanatory.  This book is hilarious to me, even though my neck is still youthful and I'm not blind as a bat like an old person.  In fact, it serves as a reminder for me to enjoy the few years that I have left with my youth and to appreciate such things like not having to wear reading glasses and pluck grey hairs.  Anyway, I am reading the chapter called "Blind as a Bat".  She talks about being lost on the road and it reminded me of something.

A lot of people really hate being lost.  I don't particularly like not knowing where I am, but I also don't panic, and there's a reason why.  I know that it isn't rational, but it tricks my brain and I shall share it with you now......

My friend, Kellie, was driving up to Atlanta to see me a couple of years back.  She reached the city and somehow got lost.  I was trying to guide her, but she was caught in traffic on top of being lost and she seemed distraught, so I shared with her something that I always find comforting.  I said the following:

"Kellie, you're not really lost.  You're still on Planet Earth."

I could tell that my words of wisdom didn't make her feel any better because she didn't say a word.  I broke the silence by saying "Don't you feel better?  You're never really lost and you will always find your way because there are only so many places you can be on Planet Earth."  She said "No, Brittany.  When I am stuck in rush hour traffic and lost in Atlanta, it doesn't make me feel better to know that I am on Planet Earth."

Well, I didn't say that it worked for everyone, and obviously it wouldn't work in every situation.  I'm sure that I would be singing a different tune if I were on an island alone or in the ocean about to be eaten by sharks.  But if I see signs and people and roads and land, I know I am on Planet Earth.  There's always some hope if you aren't floating off into space.  

Sometimes I wonder if I should stop admitting these things.








No comments:

Post a Comment