Sunday, June 10, 2012

Miles 4 Major

If you recall, the Miles 4 Major race was yesterday.  It looked like it had a pretty good turnout and it was great to see everyone who showed up.  I couldn't get too close to my friends though......I also couldn't run......because I showed up with strep throat!  I didn't mention that I was sick last week just because it's really boring to write about being sick and I really didn't want to sound like a baby.  Tuesday morning I woke up and felt like I had swallowed a handful of jagged rocks, but I sort of got up and went about my day and assumed that it was allergies.  Later that day I started feeling like every joint in my body was aching and I felt like I had a fever and I was really tired. Wednesday wasn't any better.  Thursday morning I decided to get it checked out, just in case.  The doctor was sure it was strep, but it came back negative.  I felt a lot better, so I assumed she was right.  Friday I felt ok, and that night I got a call saying that the lab came back and that I DO have strep throat.  I started antibiotics Friday night and the pharmacist said that as long as I didn't kiss or sneeze on anyone, it would probably be fine to go to the race, so I went.  My friend, Britney, walked up and said "Only YOU would be here with strep."  I take it as a compliment, even though it also means that I am crazy.  I felt fine though! I really did!   I was really tired all day yesterday and my throat still hurts, but it feels so much better. 

Mike and Matt ran and everyone else that we knew walked....I was in that group.  When we came to the end, we sort of strolled in leisurely and they were waiting for us.  They told me to cross the finish line.  I thought that there had been a rope or something and that the winner got to run through it.  I said “Where is it?”  They said "It's the HUGE blow up thing down there that says FINISH."  This thing was huge.  I laughed and crossed it so it could record my time.  Mike and Matt did really well, but the rest of us were stopping to read historical signs and taking care of Britney's baby, so I think that the snails beat us, which was fine—especially for me, the sickly one.

I want everyone to know how angry I am that the insurance companies don’t cover necessary expenses for children who are hearing impaired.  I talked some more with Brit after the race and I am flat-out pissed.  These are not cosmetic procedures and hearing aids should be covered!  They are absolutely necessary and these kids deserve them.  WHY the HELL should we have insurance if they aren’t going to ENSURE to cover us when we need it?  I am pissed.  I hate insurance companies.  Britney said that these hearing aids are like $2000 a piece, and they don’t fit them forever.  $4000 for a set?  Brit, sorry if I am not throwing the right figure out there. Is it $2,000 a set? Anyway, do the math and that is a LOT of money for a young family who has worked hard and who has always had insurance. 

I hate them so much.  It is so backwards.  I want to move to the Moon and start a colony that makes sense.  I would leave all of the rich a-holes here to fight over oil.  Maybe they'll kill each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment