Friday, June 8, 2012

Flashback Friday-John Hughes Glitch

By now, you should know that I love John Hughes and ALL of his wonderful 80's movies.  I have seen Pretty in Pink 5,000 times and it remains one of my favorites.  Lindsey loves it too, which means I have done a job well-done.  I mean, if you don't love that movie, you must be a guy.  It's awesome.

There is a glitch in Pretty in Pink though and it's always bothered me. 

For those of you who haven't seen it, Andrew McCarthy (Blaine) asks Molly Ringwald (Andie) to the prom.  He is rich, she is poor, and he gets a lot of crap from his snobby friends for dating her.  Eventually, he stops calling her, she knows something is up and confronts him at the lockers.  She screams “What about prom, Blaine?"  He says "A month ago I asked someone and I forgot."  She calls him a filthy, no good liar and a coward because his rich friends got to him, which was totally true.  He was afraid of what his a-hole friends would say. 

So at the end of the movie Andie walks into the prom with her best guy friend (Duckie, who is in love with her) and she sees BlaineBlaine has come alone and he's pouting in the corner because he is OH SO depressed.  Blaine gets up and walks toward her when his snobby friend stops him and makes fun of her some more for being "trash".  Blaine basically tells him that he's the trash and he keeps walking; his friend stands there speechless.  So now Blaine stands in front of Andie; Andie is still holding Duckie's hand.  Andie pretends that she's fine, but then admits that she's lying. 

Here's the glitch:

Blaine says "I always believed in you.  You just didn't believe in me.  I love you.....always."

Now explain to me how that makes any sense?  He stopped talking to her because his friends made fun of him for associating with "trash".  He doesn't take her to the prom because he's embarrassed.  And he always believed in her?  How the hell did she not believe in him?  She called an ASS and ASS, and she was totally right!  He was a coward and she was right!  He turns it around on her and we are supposed to say "Awwww"?   Not me.  I would've said "Nice try, playa" and hooked up with Duckie.

But in the grand scheme of things and because of the need to create a memorable scene in a teen movie, the dumbass chick buys it.  If that isn’t bad enough writing, then Duckie says "You'd better go after him or you'll be ruining a very romantic moment for me."  HUH?  Ok, let’s be realistic…..your best guy friend who is in love with you would first throw salt, then take you to the dance floor for a little Electric Slide.  A romantic moment to your best guy friend who is in love with you would involve a make-out session in his '84 Volkswagon Rabbit.  He would not give you his blessing to be with a lying douche bag who totally screwed you over.  It makes no sense at all and it irritates me. 

It's actually very disappointing!  How could John Hughes write that crap?  He thought that girls were that stupid?  Apparently we are in 80's teen movies.  Remember the girl in Sixteen Candles who gets her hair chopped off because it’s stuck in the door?  HAHA, I actually love that part. 

I will say that although the ending to Pretty in Pink doesn’t make a lot of sense, it leaves room for an awesome love song by Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark, or OMD.  Come on, guys, click it.  Click it and see what makes our hearts flutter……

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz3ge_omd-if-you-leave-pretty-in-pink_music


Have a great Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment