Monday, June 27, 2011

Sick as a Dog

Who in the world catches a cold at the beach?  I do.  I got a sore throat at the end of vacation and now it’s a full-blown cold.  I am sick as a dog.  What a stupid expression, “Sick as a dog”.  I don’t know any dogs that catch colds, do you?  And if they do, they don’t feel worse than we do, so where does the stupid expression come from?  I don’t recall having to give my dogs DayQuil, but I still walk around saying that I am "sick as a dog”.  Maybe the expression comes from the fact that when we feel so sick we could just walk ourselves into a vet and have them put us to sleep?  It’s as stupid as that “slept like a baby” expression.  Last time I checked babies don’t sleep well, right?  Obviously, I am in a terrific mood.  I will write again when I am feeling better and when I am ready to get back into the swing of things. 

I think I am going to have to back off of “Cheers” for a while.  Sam, Diane, and the wonderful Dr. Frasier Crane were in my dreams last night.  They were at the beach together.  I have to admit, the dialogue was top-notch and pretty damn funny.

I’m heading back to bed. 

Here’s the Word of the Day:

attenuate \uh-TEN-yoo-eyt\, verb:
1. To weaken or reduce in force, intensity, effect, quantity, or value
2. To make thin; make slender or fine.
3. In medicine, to render less virulent, as a strain of pathogenic virus or bacterium.
4. In electronics, to decrease the amplitude of an electronic signal.

1 comment: