Saturday, June 4, 2011

Lindsey's Party

I am pleasantly surprised that I am up and feeling great!  Lindsey had eight friends over for a slumber party and I am happy to report that they were all sleeping by midnight.  But before I talk about the party I have to talk about the crasher.

Lindsey invited eight girls and one couldn’t come, so we expected seven.  We were all waiting in the living room for the last little girl when the doorbell rang.  Lindsey runs to the door expecting her and she sees a girl that was not invited.  Now, you have to understand that I sent e-vites  out and pretty much personally talked to all of the parents.  The little girl comes in and says “Can I put my stuff upstairs?”  After we all stood there confused for a minute I said “Yes, Lindsey take her upstairs.”  The little girl went outside to tell her mom she could stay and Lindsey looked at me and said “What is she doing her?  I didn’t invite her” and the girls were like “NO!  She’s mean to me!”  Several of them didn’t want her there.  Lindsey said that she heard her telling another girl about the party and that that is the only thing that was said about it.  The other girl said “Yeah, Lindsey didn’t invite her, but she heard us talking.”  This little girl has teased Lindsey about certain clothes, she teased her when she wore glasses, and apparently she teases everyone else too.  I told the girls to be nice and be quiet and I went outside.  I waved, the mom got out of the car and said “We had a hard time finding the house without the address.”  (I’ll bet you did, weirdo!)  She said “I don’t like dropping her off without the invitation, but we found the house.”  I said “Yeah.”  It was one of the most awkward and bizarre situations that I have ever been in.  I was nice because I didn’t know what else to do.  The kid obviously knew what she was doing, but the mom couldn’t have.  Who would do that to their kid, right?  But I said “I told everyone in the e-vite that pick-up is at 10.  We’re going to the pool and then we’ll be back after it closes.”  She left, I didn’t  even have her number. 

Not even 30 minutes into the party, this girl told one of the little girls that she “sucked in Willy Wonka” and that the other girl’s "back-flip sucked”.  I pulled her out of the pool and said that we weren’t going to have drama and that if any of the girls are rude, they would go home.  She denied it and told me that all of the girls were lying.  Whatever.  I even heard her make one of the comments.  Well, the mom walks up to the gate with a present.  The girl runs outside and signs the card, tells her mom her version, and they come back.  When the girl left I asked her if she could talk to her daughter about being polite and told her that she had upset a couple of the guests.  She gave me an evil look, said “We should just go home” and I said “Well, she’s more than welcome to stay, but I have told all of the girls that there won’t be any drama or hurt feelings.  I am not dealing with that tonight.  My daughter just wants to have a good time.  I feel uncomfortable saying anything to you, but maybe if you talk to her we won’t have any other issues.”  She told her to behave and that was it.  None of the girls complained anymore; we had a great night.  Is that not BIZARRE???  Turns out, the dad is in jail and the family has a lot of issues, one of the girls told me in secret.

Three of the girls hung out with me and Lindsey came up and said “Why are you hanging out with my mom?  Come swim!”  They’re like “We love your mom!”  Lindsey told me later that I was ruining her party because her friends liked me too much.  Well, SORRY!  You can’t win.  Kids either get embarrassed by their parents or they’re too cool!   All I did was sit there, not even swimming!  One of the guys at the pool came up to me and said “I thought those were your daughters or something, I thought it was so funny that she said ‘stop hanging out with my mom!’ I was laughing!”  He thought it was cool because I can get to know who she’s hanging out with and what they’re like…..that’s the plan.  Lindsey has the most adorable friends ever.  They are smart, funny, and ridiculously cute.  The three that were talking to me said that Lindsey is the nicest girl and she’s never mean to anyone, except Logan.  One of them said that she tells her not “to be such a doormat” and that Lindsey bottles it up.  She said “I tell her you can’t let it bottle up like that or you’ll explode!  Sometimes you have to let it out, man!”  She’s hilarious.  I was surprised to hear that about Lindsey.  I would never have thought that she is like that at school.   I always ask "Well what did YOU do" when she says someone is mean to her.  She has sweet friends; she's lucky.  One of the girls is a history buff and has a blog.  They are all so adorable; I love this age. 

We walked home from the pool and everyone got changed and ready for bed.  We ate cake, opened presents and pretty much got cozy and settled for bed.  When the movie was over I sat in the middle of the room until they went to sleep.  I let them watch the movie in peace; I just came in when the lights went out. 

That was the party!  Everyone is waking up now so I have to go make cinnamon rolls and get everyone going.  I promised the girls that I would braid their hair and one of them wants me to paint their toenails.

By the way, the boys all had an awesome time with Don.  Dylan got so much attention from the girls, he ATE it up.  Carson and Peyton were sleeping when we got back from the pool and stayed asleep.  Logan served the girls popcorn and cleaned up after them.  He was sweet and the girls were like “Awwwww, Logan’s being so adorable!”  He scored some points, definitely. 

Here’s the Word of the Day:

foist \FOIST\, verb:
1. To force upon or impose fraudulently or unjustifiably.
2. To bring, put, or introduce surreptitiously or fraudulently.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, just like my amazing iPod.....your word of the day sort matches your story. If I didn't know better, I'd think you sought these words out - ha! You handled the difficult situation with style and grace in spite of it all - congrats and Lindsey learned some important lessons. Love you!

    ReplyDelete