Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Top 10-My Art Picks

I have a pretty bland palate when it comes to art, at least I think I do.  I like art just because I like it.  There really isn't a lot to why I like something or I don't, but then again, maybe that's how you should be when it comes to art....open without prejudice.  However, I like the same genres and often find myself bored in the same kinds of galleries in museums, so I am not sure I am truly open.  I also tend to like the art that everyone else seems to like...I am boring, like I said.  Also, I still like what I liked when I was a little girl. 


I may be boring when it comes to art, but I still have a Top 10.  Here it goes.....


I love anything by Degas, but I would say that this is my favorite ballerina
picture because of the pink.  Dancers in Pink, Degas
This is my favorite series of Monet paintings because of the color.
I don't like the lily pads and hay stacks as much because they are
such a small scope.  He isn't detailed at all and lily pads are small and
detailed, so it doesn't make much sense to me to paint something small and focused.
I think I like when he paints something from afar because it makes
the most sense to me. 
I had this print hanging in my room when I was a little girl.
I think it's my favorite Renoir because I liked it back then.  I love Renoir, but
I can't really get away from this one because I am nostalgic about it.
The Dancer, Pierre-Auguste Renoir
I love Greek art.  Specifically though, I love the Hellenistic period.  I remember falling in love with it because it was the first time that the Greeks looked sad and showed emotion.  They were so powerful for such a long time and their art was so proud and strong, but when they started struggling, you could start to see it in their art.  I remember thinking that although it was sad, it was whimsical and it really left an impression on me.  I have posted some different examples below.  (By the way, I love the Greeks.  I love everything about them.  They truly are superior.  It is true that everyone who isn't Greek wishes they were.  At least I do. Ha ha.) 


Dying Gaul


Aphrodite of Milos
Laocoon and his sons
Anything by Toulouse-Lautrec.....I have coasters, posters, books....
It is quite obvious that I love Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
This next one was the first exposure I had to "different" art.  I used to dig into two things as a child without my mom knowing....her VHS movies and her book collection.  There was one big book that I always pulled out, but I never told my mom that I looked at it.  Why?  The woman in this book was totally nude and I was a little girl.  I was absolutely mesmerized by this book.  It was called "Veruschka".  These artists painted this woman's body to blend in with nature and buildings.  I loved looking at it.  Yeah, it was creepy and it made me feel weird, but I was so curious at the same time.   Here is some of the book:

This is the cover. 
Imagine if that jumped out at you.
Crazy, right???
Imagine yourself as a child.  I mean, isn't this so interesting?
I really like Marc Chagall.  I love his window paintings, and I just like the color and dreamlike state of his paintings. He always puts goats in his paintings.  I don't know what that's all about, but it's funny to me.

Here is some detail.....
Always a goat and a violin....

Ok, so I am a little rusty; it has been a long time since I took Art History, BUT I remember loving the Madonna and Child paintings from the Baroque period.  Things changed after Constantine converted to Christianity and the flood of art depicting Jesus and his mother is actually quite overwhelming.  I love this though because for years, they weren't allowed to paint it.  I really don't go to Catholic service anymore. I find it ironic that the Catholic church builds these expensive cathedrals to worship Jesus, who was poor, but I am sorry....they are just beautiful.  These paintings from the Barogue period, especially the gilded ones, are very beautiful and I love them. 



Here is another gilded painting....I love it.  It's another famous one, of course.

The Kiss, Danae, Klimt
Last but not least, this is my favorite statue in Central Park.  So cool. 

Alice in Wonderland, Central Park, NYC


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you looked at my Verushka book - ha! And as far as sculptures go, Alice is just the best.

    ReplyDelete