Thursday, August 29, 2013

Symbiosis

Symbiosis means "together" and "living" in Latin.  It is a close relationship between living things; a cooperative relationship.  Quid pro quo kinda deal.  Sometimes these relationships are convenient, and sometimes these relationships are necessary for the parties to function and stay alive. 

When I hear "symbiotic", I tend to think of sea creatures like clown fish and anemones, or bacteria and our bodies (eww), or bees and flowers.  However, I realized last night (won't tell you why), that I think everyone's goal should be to be in a symbiotic relationship, and maybe it is, but we just don't think about it scientifically because we're too busy being complicated. 

I think the concept for a romantic relationship should be this easy:

"Hello, I am Brittany and I would like to be in a symbiotic relationship.  Oh.  Well you're a pain in the ass.  Never mind!  Not with you!" And move on just like a fish, right?  I mean, because if you aren't going to cooperate in a relationship, what the hell is the point of being in one? You may as well do everything you want, happily alone, versus failing miserably with someone else, right? 

Too many times, this is what happens to people:

"Hello, I am Brittany and I am in an unsymbiotic relationship.  I guess I will just whine and bitch about how he drinks too much beer and always watches golf while he pretends to listen to me."  Why do we say that we're smarter than fish and bees?  Clearly, they are smarter.  They work together, mate, and shut the hell up.  We have to be complicated.

You know, maybe that's the problem....two humans together.  Maybe a human and an animal would work.  Take King Kong.  He's in love with a beautiful little blonde who keeps him company,  entertains him and makes him smile.  The beautiful little blonde loves him because he offers her protection when she has never had any.  Beautiful.  And so there ya have it.  What I need is a giant gorilla who lets me talk, flip around and do tricks, and protects me from predators.  So easy.






No comments:

Post a Comment