Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day

I would like to say this today….fathers are so important to the way a child turns out as an adult.  I am not going to get too deep about the Women’s Movement, but I will say this: although we women sometimes have to raise our kids alone and can if necessary, it doesn’t mean it’s the best way and it doesn’t mean that fathers are unnecessary.  Good fathers are irreplaceable, just as good mothers are irreplaceable.  Notice that I said GOOD fathers and mothers…..and this may not happen through blood relation.  However it happens, fathers are a blessing and they are needed. 

Hats off to all of the good dads out there.  You’re awesome.
I feel like I have three dads.  My dad, Greg, and Don's dad.  They have all been there for me and taught me what a man looks like.  I just want to take a second to thank the most important guys in my life....

Dad, you gave me my eyes....you know, the ones that are green until they're blue?  Have we decided what color our eyes are yet?  Ha ha.  I have always seen you work hard, I've always seen you happy in the mornings, and I have always witnessed a silly sense of humor and happy disposition when watching you go through life.  That has been a big part of who I am, whether it's genetic or habit, but either way, thank you.  I don't have "daddy issues" because I have always known you love me, no matter what.  That's been so important in my life.  Thank you for always telling me how much you love me and that I am capable of more than I think.  Thank you for all of those lectures on the way to school about using my full potential, even though I never listened.  Thank you for buying my friends and I concert tickets and all of the dollar bills you used to give me.  Seriously.  I have a lot of great high school memories because you funded them.  Thank you for everything, Dad.  I love you. 

Gerg, you may have come into my life at a later age, but you are so important to me.  You made my mom happy, so right there you won me over.  Then I realized that you're freaking awesome.  You have done so much for me over the years that you didn't have to do but you did because you love my mom and me.  I laugh so hard when I am with you and you have taught me to be more logical and break things down before reacting emotionally.  I love that you're a reader and that I have someone to talk and analyze books, history and politics with.  You're so much fun to hang out with.  Love you, Gerg. 

Bill, you will always be my dad.  When I think about how God wants us to be, I picture being like you.  You have dedicated your life to your family and doing the right thing, and when you make a mistake you are always willing to correct it.  You spoil me rotten, but not really rotten, because it melts my heart and makes me want to hug you and keep you on this planet forever and give to other people the way you give to me.  Your time, your resources...you are always there.  You are an amazing person.  You are always there for me and the kids and my life would be so different without you.  I love you.

I think John Mayer says it best...I really do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2AzaOQllBQ


And is this not the creepiest song ever? Ewww. I don't wanna call you daddy and I certainly don't want you to be my father figure. Gross. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17pcz_george-michael-father-figure_music




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful blog Britt. Funny, we both wrote about how important good dads are today. Hope you are enjoying your time without the kids and taking care of you.

    ReplyDelete