Monday, June 17, 2013

Ain't Nobody Got Time For That

My life is always busy.  I have four kids, I work full time, I am no longer married, and there are certain things I do every day (like the gym) that I refuse to give up just because I am busy.  I am on the go all the time, and honestly, I prefer to be busy because I do naturally have a lot of energy.  Now that I have been uprooted as well, I am dealing with the insurance company, getting organized, and trying to gain some sort of normalcy. When I do have a break, I am juggling phone calls and trying to see and talk to those who love me and who worry about me.  One might understand that I didn’t have time for a lot before the fire, so I would think that after the fire, it would be even more obvious.

It apparently isn’t obvious to everyone.

Because I am now single, I suppose that has piqued some interest from the opposite sex and I will be honest, I am a bit aloof—not because I am mean, but because I am not “there” yet.   I get along with guys and have a lot of friends, but I am not dating and I am not concerned with it.  (I wasn’t before the fire either.)  I have no problem being alone and I don’t worry that I will be alone.  And let’s be serious…yes, we all love having someone in our life, but if the only reason you want someone is because you fear being alone, you may want to reevaluate what you’re doing.  This past week I was called “guarded and weird” by someone who apparently doesn’t understand what I have on my plate, even now.   I waited for the “just kidding” but it never came.  Instead, I laughed and said “Are you serious???”   This is humorous on all kinds of levels, but mainly because “weird and guarded” is not how someone I am interested in would EVER describe me.  Actually, no one on the planet would call me guarded.  I wear my heart on my sleeve and I am completely open.  Even doped up homeless people wouldn’t describe me as guarded— I know because they have no qualms about talking to me.  I am approachable, simple as that.   If I don’t want to have sex with you, yes, I suppose I guard myself.  Why wouldn’t I?  Says nothing about me, dude.  Sounds like a hooker in ATL may be what you’re looking for; they don’t have time to be guarded—me on the other hand…..I’ve got all day.

Most guys are totally fine being just my friend, but to some, the concept is foreign.  Therefore, I am trying to be really honest to those who may be interested because I don’t want there to be any confusion—I have had a few of these conversations just this week.   I have started looking out the window for a full moon because all of a sudden I feel some people getting annoyed with me for never being able to hang out or date.  So to defend guys….I understand that my personality is confusing.  I am outgoing and friendly and I get along with and relate to men.  This is enough for some to be confused about my intentions.  I remember that scene in “Dumb and Dumber” when Lauren Holly tells Jim Carrey what his chances are and she says “More like one in a million” and he says “So you’re telling me I have a chance!”  They can’t help it.  But neither can I, and I am not changing for anyone. 

One of my guy friends said to me this morning “I understand.  It’s ok.  You’re an independent woman.”  You know what I thought? “Thank you” not because he was understanding about it, but because I take it as a compliment.  This is a different place from where I was last year.   I feel like I prayed for strength and God gave it to me.  God gave me the ability to be happy alone, content with my life and where I am at, and reach out when I need it.  It’s easy to be comfortable in your own skin when you have as many friends and family members as I do.  I don’t need a guy just so I won’t be alone.  Actually, freedom is something that will probably be hard for me to give up now. 

Of course, there will be a guy who is an exception to my lack of time, and he will know who he is.  This guy will be one who won’t keep me locked in a cage, but who instead loves to watch me fly.  You know how a dove always comes back to its magician?  That's me, except I won't be doing stupid tricks for money.  The guy I am with will be independent, he will not be with me because he needs me, but rather because I make him happy and he likes making me happy.   It's taken me a long time to figure out what works for me, and honestly, my kids, my job, myself, and the people who love me are who come first.  Guys who don’t like it or can’t handle it and just want to bitch at me….ain’t nobody got time for that.  Especially a single mom of four whose house just burned down.
Peace out, hope you're reading.....

No comments:

Post a Comment