Monday, May 27, 2013

The GREAT Gatsby

I have written about "The Great Gatsby" a few times since starting this blog.  It's one of my favorite books and I have been awaiting this movie for about a year and a half. It was supposed to be released last December, but they waited.  I am surprised that I waited as long as I did to go see it, but I have been busy.  I took Logan and he loved it.  Being that it is my favorite, I thought there was a good chance I would be disappointed, but I LOVED it.  I thought they did a really good job.  They stuck to the story, enhanced certain points in the novel and while they risked taking an artistic approach on a classic, they didn't make it too strange.  Baz Luhrmann is the director; he also did the 90's version of "Romeo and Juliet" with Claire Danes and Leo Di Caprio. 
   
Some points about the film:

· First of all, it isn't fair for one person to be allowed to be so good-looking for so long, but Leonardo Di Caprio is and I am happy that he is blessed physically because I like looking at him. Ha ha.  Damn, that's a good-looking man.  He was a perfect Gatsby.
· Secondly, I have always HATED Daisy.  Who doesn't?  This movie made her more likeable and endearing, which was good because I never liked what she did to Gatsby.  You actually feel sorry for her though in this movie and believe that she loves him; she just knows you can't erase the past. (Which is exactly the opposite of what Gatsby believes.)
· The soundtrack is awesome.
· The cast was perfect.
The story is still so tragic and I wanted to cry.  I love Gatsby.  Gatsby is great.  I love him for being a dreamer and hate that he lived in a world and era of greed and injustice.  I was telling a friend that I love how much Gatsby loved Daisy, but then I realized that if a guy waited for five years, plotting and building a life for me, I would probably get freaked out and feel like the guy was a stalker.  It's better on paper.  Or is it?  Can a man love a woman that much?

Here's Lana Del Ray's Young and Beautiful.....

 Andre and Beyonce re-do Amy Winehouse's Back in Black

No comments:

Post a Comment