Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Documentary 2-Vegucated

I can't say that I have ever had a terrible diet, at least in comparison to a lot of Americans, but it has definitely improved over the last few years and continues to do so.  One reason I have a healthy diet is because I work out constantly.  Another reason, I am aware of what I am eating and why.  I haven't ever been a "foodie" so it's easy for me to see food as it should be seen, as energy and to be eaten with an actual purpose.  Sure, enjoy it, but it is fuel for your body....that's the purpose of eating, to keep you healthy and alive.  Actually, to be quite honest, I think stopping to eat is a nuisance.  I am rarely hungry and have to force meals down my throat most of the time.  I eat standing up next to the sink most nights.  I shovel it down and move on.   I say all of this only to admit to you that I probably have an easier time being a healthy eater and giving things up.  I respect and understand others' choice to eat whatever they want and like and I respect that it is more difficult for people who enjoy food more than I do.  That being said, people should be socially responsible and that starts with at least having an understanding of what is going on in the world.  By now I think everyone knows about what's going on within our food system, but sometimes until you see it with your own eyes, you don't get it.

I saw "Food, Inc." a few years ago and I was "accidentally vegan" for a while because I literally couldn't put meat and dairy into my mouth because it disgusted me.  If you haven't seen this documentary, be prepared to change the way you view our food system for good.  What you should gain from this film is an overall understanding of food, where it comes from, and you should leave with an awareness of what you are putting into your mouth.  The environment, your body, the economy....it is all so tied to what we eat and a lot of these animals are treated terribly.  I call the food industry "White Collar Mafia" because they are greedy liars who get away with horrific acts on the American people and animals.  And the lobbyists are, you know what?  I can't even talk about the government and the FDA and all of the lying bastards who control our food source.  Look into it.  They're all liars and it's all about money.  Aren't you curious as to why everyone is so unhealthy and everything causes cancer?  Why do people always say "Oh, everything causes cancer nowadays."  Yeah, ANDDDD????  You don't want to know why or how you can change it?  Ugh.  Just promise me you'll look into it.  I am totally open for debate, if you'll attempt to prove me wrong.  We are very screwed up when it comes to our diet and we have infected the rest of the world.  It's a big deal and I don't know why people aren't more upset.
*Let me add that I have not recently researched the laws, the changes, and MAYBE things are turning around....but I don't think much has changed and I feel sure that it isn't enough, just like it never really is when politicians are involved.
 
Vegucated

The documentary I watched last night is about veganism.  Here is the link...

 
What is a Vegan exactly?

Veganism is a type of vegetarianism that excludes meat, dairy products and all other animal-derived ingredients.  A lot of vegans also do not eat foods that are processed using animal products.  They avoid products that are tested on animals and do not buy other products made from animals, such as leather.  Well, I love my Coach bag; so clearly, true veganism is out for me.  Although I do have a Mat and Nat bag that I love; it's vegan. (http://www.mattandnat.com/) 

Veganism takes a lot of planning and it's hard to practice in a world so amped up and on the go; this is the only reason I am not a vegan.    If I had a personal chef or loads of money, I would easily be vegan because I am lactose intolerant and don't give a crap about eating meat.  I also have empathy for the animals.  I could definitely be "vegan-ish", meaning that I cut out dairy where I can and don't eat meat at all.  In fact, this is what I am starting to do.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I intend on inserting more plant-derived meals into my diet, and given the fact that I am never hungry, this should be pretty easy.  I already eat a very healthy diet.

Why become a vegan? 
 
I warn you. The first link is disturbing.
Vegucated-Farming 101

What is food? Michael Pollen explains the hidden nightmares behind the food system
Chicken farms
Undercover at Smithfield
To close, please understand that I don't have a problem with people eating animals if they are killed humanely, but the problem for me is that it's so hard to sort the good guys from the bad. I find it easier to just say "Ehhh, I just won't eat it" because I don't want to spend half my life reading between labels. A lot of the words like "organic" and "cage free" aren't as good as you think. The system has learned to manipulate these "safe words".  That being said, I would be so happy if everyone DID start reading labels and shopping at places like Whole Foods.  That would make a huge difference.  We wonder why our veggies are contaminated with E. Coli?  Well if we didn't feed cows corn instead of grass, they wouldn't develop the bacteria in their stomachs which then turns into crap, which they stand in while it runs down into the soil and out to the plants....plants that we end up eating. 

What's wrong with this picture???  Seriously.  Who is running this country? 

No comments:

Post a Comment